Kan Pat (eBay) & HotPot 2 Melters

Precision Melter, Magnum Melter, Production Pot IV, and Pro 4-20
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Kan Pat (eBay) & HotPot 2 Melters

Post by Ranch Dog »

My latest purchases arrived this past week! The Kan Pat furnace looks very nice, and I have no doubt it is going to put the heat exactly where it needs to be. It came with the regulator, pot, and ladle. I relate the volume/capacity of my smelting equipment into "cups"; for instance, a Lee ingot mold holds a ¼ cup of water which is approximately 3 lbs of lead.

The Kan Pat pot (6") holds 2½ cups of H20 or 30 lbs of lead. The ladle, ¼ cup or 3 lbs of lead. I intend to use the Kan Pat pot for smelting my plumbers lead and continue using my shop built pot for my bullet alloy mixes as it pours easy. Both pots have the same capacity. I have five Lee ingot molds and have been pouring only half of my alloy (15 lbs). I believe that the alloy is more consistent across the pours (BHN) and there is no doubt having a 15 lbs base of molting lead reduces the melting time.

The HotPot 2 is interesting; its capacity is ½ cup of water, so it holds approximately 6 lbs of lead. I'm going to use it to melt my recycled bullets which will be added back into the alloy mix, 3 lbs at a time (half the volume). In a years time, I seem to have a bunch of them for one reason or another so this pot will avoid the Alox from attaching itself to my primary pot.
Michael

Return to “Melters & Furnaces”