What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Finally back to the remainder of my 25 Auto lot of brass. Completely prepped 100 cases; primer pockets beveled & uniformed, flash-holes uniformed & and deburred, trim length with Lee Case trimmer, case mouths chamfered in & out. All done on the Lyman Prep center in just a few minutes. Going to toss them in with my 218 Bee cases to be cleaned and then run them through the Load-Master. That will bring the 25 Auto reloading to a close for the year.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Just a geewiz if you happen to have the data , if not no biggie . What is ID of typical average 25 ACP from the sizer ?
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:Just a geewiz if you happen to have the data , if not no biggie . What is ID of typical average 25 ACP from the sizer ?
Which sizer?
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

The full length of choice . I'm still piddling with the idea of some iteneration of a 22/25ACP but not seriously enough to spend $3-500 on dies , reamer , and machine work to move a firing pin in a pistol and rifle .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I use the Lee die set, SAAMI spec is a bullet at .251".
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

After pin tumbling had a couple 25 Auto cases with a pin lodge in them. Also, 30-30 Ackley Improved can swallow a number of them!

Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I think it might have been 9mm and 45 colt that I tumbled together and had a case stick inside the other. That would have made an interesting shot if I had failed to check cases. Don't tumbles cases together anymore.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

A short run of 9mm Luger on the Load-Master, just a press & pistol test before I commit to a run of 600. The only change this year is going from Auto Disk Pro to the Auto Drum. Didn't touch a case, primer, the powder, or a bullet; I sure like my Load-Masters.

I hear of fellows worrying about the bullet feeder, especially with cast bullets. I'm using my tumbled lubed TLC357-135-RF and they are peeling off the bullet feeder like Pez off the dispenser. I do put my bullets in a tub of mica and shake the tub before I send them down the tubes. Takes only a couple of seconds and is worth the effort. I also clean the bullet feeder exit port with mineral spirits between refills. Just a wipe with a rag, another couple of seconds. Here is the load...

I know I'm biased but I think it is pretty (& deadly)...

Michael
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Ranch Dog wrote:I know I'm biased but I think it is pretty (& deadly)...
I agree...

Man, I like the looks of that wide flat bullet, gotta get me that mold.
Last edited by larryw on 14 Sep 2018 06:23, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Corrected quote
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

larryw wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:I know I'm biased but I think it is pretty (& deadly)...
I agree...

Man, I like the looks of that wide flat bullet, gotta get me that mold.

This mold was not a big seller, but I don't think anyone got the design. I tried to explain it on my website, but a lot a 9mm Luger guys want a plain base. I will stand behind my belief that a plain base is a poor choice for the 9mm Luger as it is a high-pressure cartridge. You want to shoot a plain base bullet; you might as well shoot a 380 Auto.

:S

I've owned no less than nine modern 9mm Luger semi-autos and not one could make use of a .356" cast bullet; the diameter is too small. All of mine except the Taurus pistols, which needs a .358" bullet, needed a .357" bullet. What I did with the design of my bullet is start with a .356" front band and then tapered each Micro-Band increment .000X" to arrive at a .357" baseband. What this does after passing a case through Lee's Powder through Expander, Bullet Sizing, and Carbide Factory Crimp dies is deliver a very true tapered 9mm Luger cartridge rather than a bulging product that resembles the straight walled 380 Auto. Okay, two hits on the 380 Auto and I mean nothing by it as own several, but a 380 Auto will never equal a 9mm Luger as long as you pay attention to what makes the Luger different. If you don't mind the differences, all you have in your "Nine" is a 380. The tapered case makes the Luger very reliable when details count!

During the period of time that I designed this bullet, Gator checks were very hit or miss (usually the later). Hornady had dropped their 35 caliber pistol checks leaving only the rifle (.358). Again I paid attention to the details so that you could make that check fit the shank by pushing the bullet through a Lee sizing die base first. The good thing about the Hornady 35 rifle check is that it is the thinnest check they form, so it is easy to make it do what you want to do with it.

At one time my self defense training required a lot of shooting against steel bad guy targets that flipped for a hit. The weight of hit spots was calibrated to some standard of energy and a 115-grain bullet at some of the greater self defense distances would not do it unless you became familiar enough with each target to know which side was opposite the pivot. 12X-grains wasn't much better, but 147-grains was a keeper, and as individuals were ranked against each other, I wanted to keep up with the 40 S&W and 45 Auto guys. I love a 45 Auto but all of mine are single stack which means magazine changes come twice as fast, and shooting 800 to 1000 cartridge over a three day weekend with the 45 Auto was hard on my hands with my polymer handguns. I did not experience the fatigue with the 147-grain Luger ammo that I did with the 45 Auto, so that is what I trained with.

Back to my cast bullet design. I could not make a 14X-grain bullet work out, but I could make a 135-grain bullet and found it was capable of everything that the 147-grain jacketed was giving me. So, there you have it. So there you have it, my life in 9mm Luger bullet design.

NOE has a standard lube version of my design; the SC-357-135-RF. Accurate has the 35-135D, search the page that opens, which is the original tumble lube design.
Michael

Return to “Handgun Reloading”