7.62X54R Powder selection Question

Open forum for rifles.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

7.62X54R Powder selection Question

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

I just started some loads for 7.62X54R and I am little befuddled with the powder selections I see. I wanted to use Hodgdon Hybrid 100V for 180 grain Speer SP bullets and 167 Gr Missouri lead bullets. I have CFE 223 which has actually given decent performance in 303 British (which is what the Hybrid 100V was for originally).

The loads I made with CFE 223 in 7.62X54R have worked so far, I am still in the beginning stages of work up. I WANT to use Hybrid 100V because it SEEMS like it should work well, given the volume and burn rate, BUT Hodgdon does not provide load data for it in the 7.62X54R cartridge.

What am I missing or not understanding? Maybe I am just not thinking clearly because I have had a couple recent surgeries? Last time I looked into this (prior to actually having the brass for the Russian cartridges) I researched a bunch of different load data for several similar cartridges and came up with some preliminary numbers as start loads (that I wont show here because it is not published load data) but I am a novice and don't want to make dangerous assumptions. Why would they list data for a ton of cartridges with Hybrid 100V but not even ONE bullet weight listed for 7.62X54R? Maybe I am trying put a square peg in a round hole.

If I am out in left field, please tell me.

Thank you for any insight.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 7.62X54R Powder selection Question

Post by orerancher »

Maybe call Hodgdon and ask if They think that Powder is suitable in that Cartridge?

Dunno, Good Luck
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

LA

Post by Ranch Dog »

JohnnyEnfield wrote:I just started some loads for 7.62X54R and I am little befuddled with the powder selections I see. I wanted to use Hodgdon Hybrid 100V for 180 grain Speer SP bullets and 167 Gr Missouri lead bullets.
Do you have a cartridge overall length that you will be using with the 180-grain Speer SP. I will run it through QuckLoad.
Michael
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

2.980 is the COL I used for my first test loads with CFE 223 and the 180 grain bullet. At that depth the bullet is not seated very far into the neck and it worked well in the 1946 M44 I am using as my test vehicle. The 167 grain bullet shape is very different (flat point, short ogive) and hit the rifling unless I put a lot of it in the case. That COL was 2.594 after adjusting away from the rifling .02. The bullet is seating way down in the case for that one. Gun seems to like those bullets, both bullets actually, at least for 25 - 30 yards.

I won't know how well they shoot until I reload a few more of each and take them out to 75 or 100 yards. I am trying to take "baby steps". My Enfield really stretches brass, and had a case head separation on the 2nd re-loading of mild loads. Good thing I bought the removal tool BEFORE I reloaded for it. So I wont be reloading a lot for it. Thanks for your time Ranch Dog. You know I appreciate all you have done with this website, but I want to reiterate it again.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

JohnnyEnfield wrote:Thanks for your time Ranch Dog. You know I appreciate all you have done with this website, but I want to reiterate it again.
You're welcome and thank you for comments.

I will get on this, but probably not until early morning.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It looks like it is a great powder with the 7.62x54 from what I see. With the specifics, you have given me...
  • 54.6-grains
  • 100% case fill
  • 100% burnt before it leaves a 22" barrel
  • 2622 FPS @ 70°
  • 49.0K PSI
You are right that it isn't seated very far, .144", so I reran the numbers with the bullet seated a full caliber, .311" (2.873), so that you would have a range of max charges to work with if needed.
  • 53.8-grains
  • 100% case fill
  • 100% burntl
  • 2552 FPS
  • 45.9K PSI
To give you the data for the cast bullet, I would need to know the average length of the bullet.

As with any load suggestions, start 10% below the max charge and work up to that max in increments at your own risk.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

HV100 is a great med-slow powder and as the QL predictions indicate a good choice in the 7.62x54R. My M91/30 with it's 29 inch barrel with a .312 groove diameter gives great results with HV100 under a 180 grain jacketed .311 Speer bullet that I also use in my .303. Both IMR and H4350 will also give good results. In fact, in my limited experience, any of the powders that work well in the 30-06 seem (reduced by at least 2 grains to start) to also work out in the "Russian". Having said this it is always better to use due care and thoroughly research loads before committing yourself.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

Hi Ranch dog, the Missouri bullet 167 grain #1 Russian groove less, length measures between .900 and .910. Many were .908. I was somewhat surprised as I measured -but that is what I got repeatedly. Interesting numbers on the 180 grain, I had calculated 49.0 grains as a safe starting load, so I am glad I was not too far off, though I never tried a load of it yet. Thank you for the precise numbers and the bullet depths.

I can't wait to make some starting loads. I appreciate Macd commenting as well. I am glad I was thinking clearly and understanding what I have read and learned so far. Thing is, you can never be too careful. So thanks again. I love reloading. Not sure I will cast for rifles ever, but I may. I love reloading and casting. I guess it is better to be careful than ruin a gun or worse.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Okay, here is some H100V data for your cast bullet. In that, I want to give you something useful and from my experience, it is hard for a lead, gas check bullet to survive beyond 42.0K PSI so that is the first data. You Missouri bullets are not checked so I don't they will survive this pressure.
  • 2.594" Cartridge OAL
  • Bullet seated .430"
  • 49.7-grains
  • 100% case fill
  • 96% burnt
  • 2495 FPS
  • 42.0K PSI
In that these are plain based bullet, regardless of the coating or BHN, I think 30.0K PSI is more of a reasonable expectation for the internal ballistics.
  • 2.594" Cartridge OAL
  • Bullet seated .430"
  • 46.0-grains
  • 96% case fill
  • 92% burnt
  • 2294 FPS
  • 30.0K PSI
Good luck and please post your results!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

There's no flies on that second cast load.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Rifle Discussions”