Steel Challenge Match

Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Steel Challenge Match

Post by Macd »

Got out to shoot yesterday evening. It was a bit windy and cool but not too bad for shooting. I did some practise with the revolvers but going to need a bit more as I was only able to get two target rounds done out of five without reloading. My speed loaders were too stiff and I was struggling to reload on the run. I went with the M&P 9. I came in last lol. Being 20-30 years older than the other shooters was definitely a factor. I was also using some hollow point loads that shot high and left. Going to go back to the cast RN in 124 grain. They pretty much shoot to POA. It is all fun even though scores are kept and all match rules respected.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Sounds like me coaching and playing on an adult recreational slow pitch softball team at age 43. Age and experience helps.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I hope you will keep chipping away at both the hits and speedloading, those young pups need to be put in their place!
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Thanks RD. The desire is definitely there to get better. To win I would need to shoot between 65-70 seconds total. Right now I need to tweak my grips as my aim on raising is high and left. Going back to the TL356-124 2R cast for the 9mm over VV340. The 38 I am sticking to the 358-158 2R and either Bullseye or W231.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good luck. I'm going to work at those times and see what I can do against my steel targets. I sure wish I could find some shooters around me. My guys had to go and die, rather selfish!
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Another match cancellation. We are getting heavy rain and 100 kph (62 mph) winds. Temperature is 14c (52 f). I went to store this morning and trip to and from truck left me soaked through three layers of clothing. Wife reminded me about the new 3/4 length raincoat in closet she gave me last Christmas. Wish I had remembered it before I ventured out. Darn arthritis doesn't respond well to this kind of weather so working the lever on the press isn't a option either.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, be careful. I'm up in Minnesota, 60° and raining, this Texan is freezing!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Well RD, it's hot with scattered short showers down here so the humidity is through the roof. My Granny K gave me a hand me down vintage London Fog plaid heavy raincoat about ten years before she passed about ten years ago.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

My S-I-L has her fiance and his mother visiting from Fort Worth TX. They gotta be hankering for some heat about now. We were teasing him about snow and how we use combines instead of snow blowers to clean our driveways. :-p A bit of an exaggeration but sometimes the snow is so deep the first cut starts out as a tunnel.

Return to “The Shooting Range”