Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

30-30 and Pistol Powder

Post by mr surveyor »

Thought I'd post this for RD .... it's his bullets :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 30-30 and Pistol Powder

Post by Ranch Dog »

Looks pretty good. Are they being shot fast enough to kill an East Texas buck?
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

the last couple of trips I've been able to make to the range were time limited, so unfortunately the chrony wasn't used. These were the last of the 311-170RF, so I had to try the pistol powder. I've had such surprising accuracy with Unique and 143 gr (from 150 gr mold) in the 30-30, I had to see what the 170's would do.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

The 165 will clock 1600 on unique and 2200 on 4350 . That ought to do inside 100&150 respectively.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have some RD170s loaded at 10 and some at 11 Unique. Is it the same bullet? Or did I send you some and forgot? :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

GasGuzzler wrote:I have some RD170s loaded at 10 and some at 11 Unique. Is it the same bullet? Or did I send you some and forgot? :)
GG

The ones shot in the above target were the last of a batch of 311-170-RF cast, gas checked bullets that RD graciously sent me to finally get my feet wet loading cast for the 30-30. The rest I loaded with LVR, IMR 4895 and IMR 4320, and 20 or so I let a buddy load for his suppressed, .308 bolt gun. They are absolutely some of the best bullets I've had the pleasure of experimenting with. I also have about 75-80 cast 180+ gr bullets left that I got from a buddy in Wyoming to tinker with in the 30-30. I've pushed both these varieties to 2000 fps (or more), but still looking for the powder/charge rate accuracy node for my 336 with rifle powders. Using Unique with the 180's from Wyoming, I was getting near the same repeatable accuracy results as the above target with RD's 170 gr bullet and AA#7. What really got me interested in finding out how the "heavies" would do with pistol powders was experimenting with some local cast Lee mold 150's (actually weighed closed to 143 gr) and Unique. Although I had a baggie full of the little 150's from a local buddy (for about 5 years) my first cast bullet reloads for the 30-30 were from the batch of 311-170-RF bullets that RD sent. That was enough to make me dig out the 150's and give them a try .... but I chose to try a lighter load with Unique. That was enough to bait and hook me to keep tinkering with the cast bullets in the 30-30. Of those three varieties of cast 30-30 bullets, I can get what I personally think is very good accuracy using pistol powders and low velocity. I haven't been able to consistently find the accuracy with the cast that I can get out of Rem Core-Lokt or Sierra Pro Hunter jacketed bullets.

As for the bullets you sent .... they were the 180 gr bullets for the .357 R92. Very good quality work. Unfortunately, for me, I couldn't cycle them loaded in .357 brass .... mostly due to the cuts in my cartridge carrier. Rather than modify the carrier, I was able to load them in .38 spl brass and cycle. I still have a few of the bullets left that I plan to tinker with some more.

It's been "interesting" to deal with unexpected dain bramage, continue to (have to) run a business alone, turn 65, and try to appear to be normbal .... and still find time to do those things you just want to do :lol:

jd
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Aha! I have an RD mold for .30-30 that drops 170 and is GC so ....
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

I'm just reviving this old(er) thread to add velocity data. I didn't get pistol powder chrony data for the RD 170's, but did get data for the other "gifted" 180s and more recently purchased "True Shot" 165's. Using the same load of 14.0 gr of AA#7 (just a benchmark comparison load) the 180's averaged 1615 fps (with ES 26) and the 165's averaged 1635 fps (with ES 11). The lighter weight Lee 150 gr bullet (this batch was cast at 143 gr ave) are amazingly consistently accurate with 9.0 gr of Unique with 1470 fps and ES 33.

The 1635 fps velocity of the 165's would result in a ME of 970 ft lbs ... so just a shade under that accepted magic number of 1000 ft lbs for hunting purposes. I'd figure this round would still be adequate in my neck of the "piney woods" though.

This was just for an update with numbers.

jd
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

It sounds like you are ready to hunt with a WW air-cooled bullet. What County do you hunt?
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

I haven't been able to do much more than bird hunt a couple of seasons and maybe a couple of "sit on the tailgate" varmint hunts since 2014. Prior to that my occasional opportunities to deer hunt have been near home in Rusk, Gregg or Smith Counties. Since my physical abilities still haven't recovered to what I would consider to be "safe operating condition", I won't consider any serious attempt at hunting this fall/winter. But, I do have plans to hook up with an old surveying friend down in the Johnson City area for opening week of Dove season. I probably should slip out to the range with a box of clays and see if I can finally shoot the "flyers" from a standing position.

jd

Return to “The Shooting Range”