FCD/Collet Crimp Dies?

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

FCD/Collet Crimp Dies?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

What's the difference?

Wandering around Titan's web site yesterday looking for FCDs I also came across collet crimp dies. They look the same. are they?

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: FCD/Collet Crimp Dies?

Post by orerancher »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:What's the difference?

Wandering around Titan's web site yesterday looking for FCDs I also came across collet crimp dies. They look the same. are they?

Make smoke,

I think the Collet Dies work better...IMHO

If You have a Lee Catalog there is a cutaway picture of each Die that shows the Difference....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Collet FCD Crimp die is what everyone used to refer to as a rifle FCD. When I had my mold business, I talked Lee into making special order Collet FCD dies for revolver cartridges; 38 Spl through 480 Ruger given my interest in all these cartridges as used in leverguns. I suspect that is what you are asking about. A 45 Colt revolver's cylinder needs a roll crimp and the carbide sizing ring to ensure fit which the Carbide FCD die offers. Both of those features might be detrimental to a leverguns chamber, and the Collet FCD is a better fit.
Michael
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Same name, different animal. Lee calls their handgun and rifle FCDs the same, but the FCD for rifle cartridges is a collet crimp and the FCD for handgun cartridges is a post crimping sizing die. To add to the confusion, Lee started making FCDs for handgun cartridges that are collet crimp dies... :|

I tried the post crimping sizing die, but it now resides in a landfill somewhere in So. Oregon. I do use 3 FCD collet crimp dies, quite well too...
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

mikld wrote:Same name, different animal. Lee calls their handgun and rifle FCDs the same, but the FCD for rifle cartridges is a collet crimp and the FCD for handgun cartridges is a post crimping sizing die. To add to the confusion, Lee started making FCDs for handgun cartridges that are collet crimp dies... :|
Actually two different names. The collet crimp die was originally for rifle cases and is called the FCD (factory crimp die) the other for handgun calibers is called the CFCD (carbide factory crimp die) and has the carbide ring at the mouth of the die. There was a bit of a discussion on these here awhile back and that's when I found out that RD was the one who convinced Lee to make the FCD for handgun calibers. WAY TO GO RANCH DOG!!

There have been approx. 2,694,541,227 threads and posts on the viability and usefulness of the CFCD and it seems to run about 50/50 in like and hate. It's kinda like a bulge buster for a loaded round but it will put a nice crimp on a round. It's not one I use or like very much, only on 9mm, but I think I'll remove it from the die plate and install a powder check die instead. But I do like the FCD (the collet one)...
+1
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

My .357 Blackhawk splits playing cards from a profile at seven paces with a 168 gr lead bullet over a dose of 2400 and crimped with whatever you wanna call Lee's 4th die.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:My .357 Blackhawk splits playing cards from a profile at seven paces with a 168 gr lead bullet over a dose of 2400 and crimped with whatever you wanna call Lee's 4th die.

Saw a guy do that on TV a few years back on a program called "Impossible Shots". I think he was using a 45 colt and I don't believe it was Bob Mundon (maybe). Took him several tries to finally manage the feat. Same show that had a fella shoot an aspirin that was tossed in the air with a longbow and blunt tipped arrow. That was a cool show, wish it were still around.
larryw

Post by larryw »

horseman wrote: That was a cool show, wish it were still around.
Yup...
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I need to get collet FCD's for .44 mag and .357 mag. I do have the collet FCD for the 30-30 and there is a noticeable difference (to me) in the finished product.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
larryw

Post by larryw »

Never had a collect die but think I'm gonna get one for my .357.
From what I hear & read they do a real nice job.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns

Return to “Handgun”