Dumb, Dumb, Dumb!!!!

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb!!!!

Post by horseman »

I'm embarrassed to tell you all this but maybe we all do stupid things sometimes. Wanted to check the chamber length on my 06' that I've had since 1970. Why now (or ever) you may ask, well, it just seemed like a good idea at the time and it was something to do. I didn't want to do a chamber cast, never done one and it just seemed a bit more than I wanted to tackle and besides I just was "piddlin" around in the reloading room. Saw a video on U-tube with some "gunsmith" showin' an easy way to do this. Take a sized case, cut a small (1/8th inch or so) piece from the neck, seat a bullet into the now "shortened" case to normal OAL. Put a small amount of oil on the ogive of the bullet then slip the cut piece on the bullet leaving it "long". Now you fully chamber the round slowly into the chamber closing the bolt. (Maybe). Then you slowly eject the round from the chamber. Then you can measure the distance from the base of the case to end of where the small cut piece now resides on the bullet and you have your chamber length....Phhhtttt, easy right, what could possibly go wrong with this simple procedure. Anyone have a good idea for removing a small piece of case neck that's jammed into the end of a rifle chamber???? Larry you had better not call me laughing your behind off either.....just tell me how to "fix" it.....did run into a young gunsmith friend down at the transfer station Friday and just sorta mentioned it to him as I was leanin' on his truck door talkin' to him. You woulda' thought I'd told him the funniest joke ever the way he carried on. You would think a former Marine would have a bit more respect for an old guy like me, wouldn't ya'...???? :oops: he did say to bring it over and he'd take care of it but I'm not sure I can handle more ridicule.... :lol:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Dumb, Dumb, Dumb!!!!

Post by Ranch Dog »

If you have a set of spiral fluted extractors, you probably can get it out.

See this topic: https://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=2342

Being it is just the case neck, you would also be able to get it out with a pin gauge. Not everyone has a pin gauge set though. You would find a pin gauge from the set that falls free into the barrel, say .298", and then when it meets the case neck, you could tap it with a wooden dowel to knock everything out. Make sure the gauge is free, you don't want two things stuck in there.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

There are also cartridge specific tools for addressing the issue: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Broken-Shell-E ... ctupt=true

$8 vs. being laughed at. If the laughing cured the issue, I'd be good.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Just so happens I have a pretty full set of pin gauges..thanks, I would not of thought of that. Now saying that, I'm not gonna be back on here wanting to know how to remove a piece of case neck with a pin gauge stuck in it am I.... :lol:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The pin gauge should be just shy of bore diameter, but given the thickness of the brass, make solid contact. With a light tap on the rod, the neck should come free.
Michael
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

if I understand the problem, case neck piece stuck in the chamber. Solution I have heard is an oversized brass brush pushed into/thru the stuck piece, grabs the brass and hopefully pulls it out. Never had the problem/sure there is a Utube on that process. Having said that, the pin gauge idea is one I have never heard of, but certainly makes good logical sense to me!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've always tried the brass brush first, its the simplest, but I've never had it work.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Actually, the best fix is to buy the cartridge specific tool. It guarantees that you will never have another and never have a chance to use the tool. That has been my experience to date.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Ranch Dog wrote:Actually, the best fix is to buy the cartridge specific tool. It guarantees that you will never have another and never have a chance to use the tool. That has been my experience to date.
Yep that's implisit with your avatar. It works for me too. :oops:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Why does everyone think I'm gonna call them & either laugh at, or yell at them?
Come on now, your giving me a complete complex, I used to be a nice guy???
I also am on the, "Get the correct tool" side. Much easier, &, It's another neat nifty tool.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns

Return to “Topic Bucket”