9 mm Loadmaster setup

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Pistolero
My Press Choice: Progressive

9 mm Loadmaster setup

Post by Pistolero »

Between my son and I we go through a couple,hundred rounds of 9 mm a week so a progressive was inevitable. Setup went well enough, but I found I had brass issues. Some cases just didn’t want to seat in the shell plate. I noticed this on my turret press as well. I had to push them hard and sometimes heard a click as they seated. This caused all sorts of issues with the universal decapping die and then primer feed issues. I solved this by decapping off the press. At some point I’ll try another caliber and see if there’s any difference. At the moment the press is running well, I’m very satisfied. The only real problem is not letting yourself get lulled into not paying attention.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 9 mm Loadmaster setup

Post by larryw »

Pistolero wrote: The only real problem is not letting yourself get lulled into not paying attention.
That is for sure a very real & dangerous problem loading with any equipment.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

If you've inspected the cases and there is no case head damage then you probably have a shell plate problem. I'd contact Lee and give them the particulars. I believe the shell plate I'm using is a 19S and I've not had any issues with cases feeding into it. In fact I had a couple other LM's with both the 19 shell plate and the "modified" 6s and no problem with either of those either as far as cases feeding correctly. But you also say you've had similar problems using a shell holder on the Turret press. Hmmmm, is this brass you purchased new and reloaded or was it fired before you got it.? If once fired perhaps the weapon used somehow "tweaked" the brass on ejection or an unusual chamber? I HAVE seen damage done to brass fired from other "type" weapons. I think I would at the least cull out the ones that won't feed into the shell plate. Try some others, 9mm brass is to cheap to buy to put up with that type issue.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It sounds like the brass in that it happens on the turret press/shell holder as well. What brass are you using? If a mix of brass, start making note of the problematic headstamp.

I recently had a problem with a new Load-Master shell plate, three of the five slots were tight enough that they would not feed. I marked them with a Sharpie and sent it to Lee with a letter and a copy of my vendor order receipt. Within the week, I received the shell plate back corrected. I use only one specific brand of brass, MagTech, that I've run since new so there were no variables which meant it was the new shell plate.
Michael
Pistolero

Post by Pistolero »

Some of my 9mm brass is new loaded only by me, some is factory ammo I shot and policed up, and some is range brass. I haven't noticed any defects on inspection but the Mark 1 eyeball may not be enough to detect brass tweaked by a firearm. I suspect there are some of these, as well as some cheaply made cases where the flash hole is slightly off center. I could cull out tweaked stuff and I'm in the process of deburring flash holes, however decapping off the press works. Using two sizing dies also worked but required too much force, well, more force than was comfortable. The press itself is fine. Pretty much every hiccup I had was something I didn't do quite right, along with a rookie mistake or two (such as missing a couple of berdan primed cases and letting them into the process. That one cost me a decapping pin!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Pistolero wrote:Some of my 9mm brass is new loaded only by me, some is factory ammo I shot and policed up, and some is range brass. I haven't noticed any defects on inspection but the Mark 1 eyeball may not be enough to detect brass tweaked by a firearm. I suspect there are some of these, as well as some cheaply made cases where the flash hole is slightly off center. I could cull out tweaked stuff and I'm in the process of deburring flash holes, however decapping off the press works. Using two sizing dies also worked but required too much force, well, more force than was comfortable. The press itself is fine. Pretty much every hiccup I had was something I didn't do quite right, along with a rookie mistake or two (such as missing a couple of berdan primed cases and letting them into the process. That one cost me a decapping pin!

what are you using to de-prime cases off the press? Any problems with cases not feeding using that? SIZING 9mm cases can be pretty tough considering it's such a small case, but, it's taper seems to make it so. Try some type spray lube on them, makes sizing a bunch easier. Prep the primer pockets it's only a one time deal and it makes priming a lot easier and with less "drama". Flash holes, ehhh, don't know that I would bother with handgun brass however I do on ALL rifle brass. However it sure won't hurt anything... :D

I think I would still "discover" what's causing cases to not feed in your shell plate and or shell holder, It almost HAS to be the brass and I'd get rid of the offending pieces.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

When loading 9mm (my least favorite cartridge to load), I have to run a lubed case in the mix every fourth or fifth cycle. It makes everything tend to smooth out.

jd

edit to add: I'm not using a progressive press so not familiar with the brass handling. If it's "automated", I'd try using lightly lubed brass. I use Lee Case Lube in a spray bottle that's cut down with 3-4 parts alcohol for my normal case lube needs. Obviously in Lee carbide (supposedly) 9mm dies you wouldn't think you'd need case lube but I do find I need a little. If I were to do a whole lot more 9mm reloading that I do now, I'd probably use the same lube components, but cut the actual case lube volume in half (proportionate to the usual proportionate mix of lube and alcohol) and lube every case lightly. When lubing brass, I just throw a bunch into a half gallon ziplock bag and give the brass 3-4 squirts of lube, then roll the brass around in the bag until its all been touched with the lube. They don't take much more than a minute or two for the alcohol to evaporate, and the light film of Lee lube is harmless to the final product.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Pistolero

Post by Pistolero »

I've put several hundred rounds through my press, and all shot well. A crushed primer or two, and a few that didn't cut it in the chamber checker, but no other issues. I have enough brass that I''ll be culling out stinkers. Now that I'm up the learning curve and have a fresh load of brass I'm going to put the universal decapper back on station 1 and see how things go.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the report!
Michael
Pistolero

Post by Pistolero »

So to continue the report: I put the universal de-capping die back into station 1, and ran about 40-50 rounds through. I had two or three failures to decap for some reason. I adjusted the de-capping die downward and that seems to have taken care of it. You still have to "feel the touch" of the press. I now know how much force it takes to resize and seat the primer. If too much effort is required you have to stop and check the priming station. Slow steady strokes are required. Unfortunately the effort required to resize masks the feel of de-capping. I may just continue to decap off the press. It's more reliable for me, but it is nice to know everything works the way it's supposed to. All in all, it's a solid piece of equipment. I like it!

Return to “Progressive”