Load testing indoors at 25 yards

Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Load testing indoors at 25 yards

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I figure if a load wont group at 25 yards there no sense in pursuing it further and right now with this lock down it's all I have access to so that's where I took the 6.5 Grendel MSR that I at least partially built (lower), the 20" upper came from Primary Arms. I had been looking at one and caught it on sale.

I took it, some test loads and the LabRadar to the range the other day. The problem with the LabRadar is having enough room to get it positioned to trigger off the muzzle blast. At the indoor I shoot at that would mean on a tripod in front of the firing line, big no no. The solution comes from JKL Precision in the form of a recoil trigger along with their Picatiny mount. Through an hour of shooting it didn't miss a shot, the cell phone app was even behaving until I had a call come in and then the Bluetooth wouldn't reconnect, end of session, but my hour was up anyway.

To test the set up I fired a 5 shot string of Federal's varmint load, 90 grain Speer TNT that they claim in the neighborhood of 3000 fps no barrel length specified that I could find.

Radar reported: high 2865, low 2843, av 2818, SD 19.4 out of my 20" tube. If I didn't reload and like to tinker I would hunt varmints and predators with this load and be quite happy I think. As it is I'm working with the same Speer bullet and at the moment H4198 and I have some Nosler 90 gr that I'm loading parallel with the Speer.

Our state ranges may just get back open either next week or maybe the Wednesday after Memorial Day

We can only hope.

Stay safe, be well, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Load testing indoors at 25 yards

Post by Ranch Dog »

Glad to hear that you got out and got some shooting in!
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Load testing indoors at 25 yards

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Ranch Dog wrote:Glad to hear that you got out and got some shooting in!
For awhile there the range was just available for 2 hours from 10 to noon. Starting Tuesday they are having it open from 10 to 7. Got out today with the Ruger precision rim fire in 22WMR and my 2 22lr target pistols. Not a bad day.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “The Shooting Range”