Auto Drum woes

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
sparkyv
My Press Choice: Turret

Auto Drum woes

Post by sparkyv »

I really want my LADPMs to work well. One nagging issue seems to be charge weight drift. I notice that when loading 100 or more pistol rounds, that the charge weight creeps up during the first 20 or 30 rounds before it settles in. What can be done to mitigate this drift? I've tried tapping the hopper and cycling the turret 15 or 20 times before I start my run, to no avail. So far, this happens with Blue Dot, Universal, H110, HP38 and Longshot. Suggestions appreciated.
μολὼν λαβέ
NRA Life Member
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Auto Drum woes

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

In another thread on here someone mentioned that the changes in weight delivered can be cause by almost unnoticeable inconsistencies in press operation that cause variations in how far the drum rotates. My drum is a stand alone and I have to careful to hit the stops consistently.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

A static charge could be causing the inconsistencies. I rinse my drums in a solution of water and Dawn (just a little), by gently swirling them in a container, and then letting them air dry. More than likely, you will only need to do this one time as the charge is from the manufacturing process.
Michael
sparkyv
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by sparkyv »

I'll give it a go, Ranch Dog.
μολὼν λαβέ
NRA Life Member
barracudadave67
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by barracudadave67 »

I bought 3 of the Auto Drums. I havnt had any luck using them. I gave up about a year ago. I get a lot better results from my new perfect powder measures. I should probably sell the drums, and move on. I'm not even going to try them any more.
Dave

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”