Primers

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Primers

Post by killian6pk »

Since primers are as hard to find as hens teeth. I was wondering what other brands are ok to use like wolf or magtech etc. some of the lesser known brands? Also I have seen small pistol magnum primers I am assuming that they would not work (tell me if I am wrong) and what about small pistol match primers?

I figure primers will start trickling in and just want to be prepared to act if I see any. Along with the rest of the reloading world. :)
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Primers

Post by larryw »

I only use 2 brands & have a good stock of them.
I do know a couple guys that use nothing but the " cheaper brands " I have heard
no complaints from them except for S&B primers, that dont use them anymore??
Which ever you choose, if its different than what you worked up your load with,
back down 10% or so & work back up. This advice goes for ANY component change
in an already established, proven load.
Keep us posted. Take care & be safe.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

When primers were difficult to get a few years back (worse than today by far) I picked up 5,000 Magtech LPP for pretty cheap (at the time). I've used a bit over 1,000 of them. I haven't seen much difference between them and CCI that I've used. I do see a bit of difference with Winchester LPP vs the others. Not much, but a bit. I picked up a thousand Federal LP match primers a few weeks ago and since using those that will be the ones I'll use from now on for first class loads, when I can find them. They are some very consistent primers. I've used Wolf primers in 556 without issue also. So for me, Federal match primers are first place, all the others I've used are second. But they've all gone bang and the bullet went the right direction. :D
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Thanks guys, does anyone have experience with Fiocchi primers? I was just on MidSouths site and they have some Federal Large Rifle primers and also some Large Rifle Magnum primers. If anyone needs those I would not wait long.
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Shooterrick2020 »

In my opinion and my opinion only. . I prefer CCI and federal match but honestly the regular Federal and federal match come off the same assembly line the only difference is the amount of scrutiny the match grade Federal receives. There is a higher level of quality control during the time they are pulling the match primers off the assembly line.

As for small pistol Magnum primers they are meant to be used with Magnum loads such as 357 Magnum. You should use regular small pistol primers four loads such as 9 mm and 38 Special. Large pistol primers 45acp excetera.
If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Thanks guys. That is what I figured.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

There are uses for Magnum primers that don't necessarily attach to "magnum" cases. Tall columns of hard to light powders. When I can get them I use Federal Large rifle magnum primers in my 40-65 black powder loads and I'll use CCI LRM primers when I can't get Federal. Many ranges sessions have shown more consistent MVs with the magnum primers. Those loads are trickled in, shaken down and compressed. With some powders in the 45 Colt the results are similar and when things shake out here a little I'm going to see what happens with the 44 Magnum in the rifle.

Stay well, Be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have had no issues with S&B.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mikld

Post by mikld »

I have used a of of Wolf Large Rifle primers for my Garand and 308 bolt gun ammo, but no pistol primers. I purchased most in 2012 and every one worked. I've not reloaded any S&B components but have fired a few boxes of their ammo with 100% reliability and very good performance. Since I refuse to pay Haz Mat rip off fees, the only primers available in my small town are CCI and Winchester, so I've not experienced any other brands...
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Kaiser »

During the last shortage, I could only find "Wolf" Small Rifle and Small Pistol primers at a reasonable price. Although I'm not a "high usage shooter" of the .224 bore, I do shoot a lot of .38Spl and .357. Every primer I used of that brand went "Bang". It seems that most component manufacturers tend to place their most critical Quality Control standards on their primer production over other components, since it will obviously have the greatest effect on market acceptance of the other ammo products they offer.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”