410x2 1/2 Lee Loader Ready!

The little red box that started it all!
Green Frog
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

410x2 1/2 Lee Loader Ready!

Post by Green Frog »

Well, about 5-10 years or so ago I “backed into” a fairly late Lee Custom set in the short 410 at a fundraiser auction our club had for “Run for Life.” I didn’t really want it and didn’t have a 410 except a pair of inserts for my 20 ga OU. It was several years later that I bought a little 410 OU for my meager collection.

Fast forward to now, with shot shells of all gauges getting hard to find and expensive. I dragged it out and found it to be complete as originally shipped except for the instruction sheet. It had the tool to expand the crimp out but didn’t have the (introduced later) crimp starter. Over the last few weeks I’ve bought a pound of H110 (@ a mildly exorbitant price :shock: ) and ordered a 410 MEC Spindex crimp starter. The MEC part is virtually identical to the Lee crimp tool, so it should work well. I had Win 209 primers and some #9 shot along with a couple hundred once fired 410 AA hulls so now all I have to do is sit down and actually do it.

It’s time for me to see whether this Lee Loader for shot shells thing really works! :mrgreen:

Froggie
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: 410x2 1/2 Lee Loader Ready!

Post by mr surveyor »

you have wads?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Green Frog

Post by Green Frog »

I should have mentioned… that was the one thing I found in good supply… I easily found and bought a bag of the Clay Busters designated for the late model AA Winchester hulls I gathered up. Of course if I didn’t already have a fair supply of Win 209 primers, that could have really been problematic. Shot was still in good supply as well since I occasionally load 20 gauge, so once I got the H110 and the crimp starter accounted for, I was good to go.

Now to find a couple of hours when I can sit down and give it my full concentration so I can make some 410 reloads happen! I’m crossing my fingers and knocking on wood.

Froggie
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I sold my 410 Lee Loader for over $200 without ever using it. I bought about 500 rounds of .410 right before the price went through the roof. I still have never fired my one and only .410 shotgun.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Green Frog

Post by Green Frog »

If somebody offered me $200 for mine, they would own it instantly. A good used MEC 600 Jr in 410 bore can be had for that. OTOH, I wouldn’t sell it until I knew I could get the replacement, since I shoot my 410 so often (at least twice a year! :roll: )

Froggie

Return to “Lee Loader®”