I'm back at it......

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

I'm back at it......

Post by horseman »

Back in July 2021 I packed up all my reloading gear, everything, removed the benches and cupboards from my reloading room. Did any and all repairs to the room, painted it and installed new flooring. New bedroom. Recently a "younger" friend and his son, both avid hunters and shooters, started asking me to teach them how to reload. We discussed it quite a bit and I finally agreed. I started going through my "stuff" to figure what I/they would need to start this process. RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme press, Uniflow with stand, Hornady scale, calipers, comparators, gauges for said items, trimmers, some appropriate powder, primers and anything else I could think of. :shock: Big box of "stuff". Took this down to them a couple weeks ago and we spent some time going over what and how the process of reloading works and what the items were for (comparators, headspace gauges and what we were measuring and why). No reloading at this point. Just the how's, why's and why for's. We also went to a range he belongs to and shot a few rounds with a 7 mag I gave him with some of my reloads along with a couple other rifles he brought along. I found I'm still a lousy shot at range. :oops:
Now, after all this BS background I've found a renewed interest (through their interest) in reloading so have set up a small reloading area and finally have everything pretty close to organized and set up. Bought the Lyman universal press mount so I can swap presses (also have some Lee mounting plates and will probably utilize them at some point) Sat down a couple nights ago to load SOMETHING and decided to just do a few 223 rounds, you know something easy. Have to tell ya all, 2plus years away makes a difference.. :? Took me probably well over an hour to do 30 rounds and the brass was prepped, not primed but all else was. I guess just mentally unorganized was the issue. That and I couldn't seem to hang on the those little bullets and kept dropping them. BUT, I only pinched :x my fingers once while seating a bullet... :lol: Long story on how and why I'm back in the game. Didn't realize it's something I NEED to do, helps my sanity.

A little side story, when I was at my friends place we went to a couple sporting goods stores he wanted to show me and to look for/at reloading stuff and components he was interested in. While there we stepped over to the area they keep all the guns AND primers (big area behind a counter) and I asked the sales guy if they had any large rifle primers and he replied they did and walked over and brought a case of them over to me. Asked him how much and he said 129.00. Now, I have to preface this by saying he had this superior attitude that you find in a golf pro shop when asking about golf balls, and I did not think very customer oriented so my mumbled wow, that's pretty high elicited a "I don't set the prices so buy them or not I don't care" which elicited a response from me to the effect " you can keep your primers AND the attitude and if you'd like to further the discussion I'd be happy to come around the counter and we can further our conversation", or something like that....I heard my friend behind me mutter "here we go again"...as I started toward the swinging gate at the counter further disaster (either way) was averted by an apology from said employee. Now I'm an old guy who is normally very sedate in my demeanor but this guy was a real Pr...! Must have been the holiday season that got him like that. Probably not. I was wishing Larry W was with me........... :lol: I apologize for the long off topic post..
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: I'm back at it......

Post by larryw »

I knew you couldn't stay away.. LOL Glad to hear you have started again, I have also. I agree, time away from the bench has taken it's toll.
I'm fooling around with these plated Berrys .357s & crimping them with a collet crimp die. So far so good,
.010 total cannular indentation (.05 per side) with no plating tears.
Old buddy, I wish I was with you then also, I can't stand that crap out of anyone, I only have one question.
Why walk around to the entrance of the counter??? Just grab his happy A@% & drag him over the counter.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Bill Moore
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Bill Moore »

You really should be more forgiving to those who didn't get a proper upbringing, although they do need to learn at some point!
It's always a shock to me the way component prices have soared! When I first started, several of us would buy in bulk from Midsouth, over 50K got free shipping! An old friend I loaned some primers to a couple weeks ago reminded me that we were paying $8.50 a thousand then, I had paid $85 for the box I gave him!
Large rifle are scarce in my area, our county range officer needed some a few months ago, he was happy to trade for small rifle, I was glad to help him out, he is a great guy.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

This run has been unusually hard on the new/1st cycle guys especially since we weren't really fully recovered from the last one .

I grew up with customer service and small business. I also spent my share later on in establishments that were first class in every regard so I probably, as I approach 60 , have an unreasonable expectation of a sales staff . Tone and inflection are often more important than what is actually said .
The kid behind the counter probably doesn't know what he's selling.
You were cranky because most of the ammo and all of the primers were locked up like the smokes and girly mags behind the counter.
Then college boy initiated the blind negative verbal response of course we have them if you're willing to pay game . Which after 2 months of trying to figure out what your significant other really wanted/needed for Christmas and trying to find it faced with similar SA kids you were in no mood for .......

I spend 3 days a week apologizing to truck drivers for production flaws . Some of them are pre-po'd , I start with Monday and Tuesday suck for loading they're starting with empty freezers . Shipping is out to lunch and also on their lunch break . Let's get your numbers and see where it goes .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

larryw wrote: 26 Dec 2023 11:58 I knew you couldn't stay away.. LOL Glad to hear you have started again, I have also. I agree, time away from the bench has taken it's toll.
I'm fooling around with these plated Berrys .357s & crimping them with a collet crimp die. So far so good,
.010 total cannular indentation (.05 per side) with no plating tears.
Old buddy, I wish I was with you then also, I can't stand that crap out of anyone, I only have one question.
Why walk around to the entrance of the counter??? Just grab his happy A@% & drag him over the counter.

He was to big......... :D

Return to “Topic Bucket”