Interesting observations week of Oct. 11 to 17

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Interesting observations week of Oct. 11 to 17

Post by Steelbanger »

This past week was our in-line doe season in PA. Most everything I observed was at quite a distance, mostly at or slightly past the 200 yd. range. On the first day, from an elevated stand, I saw an adult doe with two yearlings tagging along, one of which was mostly white in color, a piebald, frisky youngster. They were crossing past at that distance and I decided to not shoot either of them should our paths cross at some later date.

Monday morning brought a choral performance by the local coyotes. I love to hear them but the hair on my neck stands up a bit while they yip and squeal. Later in the morning I was watching a small buck and decided to scan the near side of the field to make sure nothing was giving me the slip. No legal targets but I did see a mother bear and two tiny cubs tagging closely behind mama. Tuesday and Wednesday I observed a bald eagle lazily circling. I have hunted this property for over 30 years and never saw a bald eagle there until this year. The last critters I saw were a small flock of turkeys, the most common resident for the past 15-20 years and almost unheard of before then. Between the unusual sightings I did see 4 different bucks, from a fork horn 4 pt. to a nice 8 point.

So the season is over now and no venison yet. Our main deer season is the first two weeks of December which I will spend at my son's place so hopefully either he or I will have some good luck. I have a doe tag too, a Marlin rifle converted to 38-55 and sighted with Ranch Dog's 235 gr. flat point bullets. I've been trying to shoot a deer with one of those bullets but so far all I bagged was a coyote.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Interesting observations week of Oct. 11 to 17

Post by 62chevy »

It's amazing what you can see just sitting there watching nature pass by. We had a very strange experience Saturday at the range, normally we get there at the crack of dawn so we can have the place to our selves but when we take the grandson it's usually later and this time was no different arriving at 10:30. Yes we had to wait for a bench to open but not long so we are helping the little guy shoot when the Wife hollers to look out for the deer. You have at least 12 people shooting down range mostly with rifle, 308 and up with not brakes loud as can be. Sure enough on the left side of the range about 125 yards 2 deer jump out and mosey behind the 100 yard berm stay there for a couple of minutes then leave the range. no more had they left then a buck runs to the berm and then moseys to edge of the range and stays there for a good five minutes feeding.
Je suis Charlie
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

sounds like our range .... we have deer, possums, c oons, armadillos, snakes, the occasional pig.... when the river (very nearby) is up, the critters come calling :D

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

My favorite time of the year! Hosted my youth hunt this weekend and will get a report posted.

Frank, it seems you saw a good mix of everything! Will move this to the Hunting/Field forum.
Michael
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 357cyrus »

Penn's State sure is rich with wildlife.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”