Digital powder scale

Using something else, show & tell us what you have! Includes products from other manufacturers.
drew765
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Digital powder scale

Post by drew765 »

I have a question regarding what scale to use to verify my charges when I use my lee balance scale.. Without breaking the Bank lol
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Digital powder scale

Post by 62chevy »

This is what I use.

Bought is here.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175512 ... uctFinding

But I use the Lee scale to verify my digital scale.
Je suis Charlie
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Poppop »

I use an RCBS 5-0-5 It's great-under $100. Each .10 gr. is deliberate and scale is very readable and I have bad eyes. I trust it more than an electronic digital scale where you have change batteries, be aware of temperature in the room etc.
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I have a digital it's an AWS, it correlates to my 5-0-5 and the Lee Safety scale. However I only use it to check bullet weights. I actually use the Lee Safety scale to check the 5-0-5. But I'm an old fuddy duddy.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-AW ... +scale+aws

Looks like the Hornady: http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Electroni ... ital+scale
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
drew765

Post by drew765 »

Do most all of you use grams in one way or another... I bought an aws scale and the advertising on Amazon said it weighed grains... and it doesn't :( I'm not so sure I trust myself yet with the balance scale.. Constantly reading the literature maybe I'm making this harder than it should be..
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Actually the AWS digital scale I have does allow weight to be displayed in grains as well as gram and ounces.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

A digital scale, especially the cheap ones, will never be as accurate as a beam scale. So verifying a beam scale with a digital one would require quite an expensive lab scale.

I use the same scale as shown above, and it's good for me. But you should know the limits of digital scales when using one:
- The load cell is temperature depending. That's why these scales come with calibration weights. Use them every time you turn on the scale and recalibrate one and so often.
- The load cell gets warm when powered. Just a little bit, but in combination with the first point this is not too good. When switching it on, let it sit for a minute of so before calibrating.
- The load cell "wanders" off. The auto zero will hide that most of the time, but you'll see it when you put something on the scale and let it sit for a while, then remove. Most of the time it won't show zero.
- For the above reasons, store the scale in the very room you're going to use it, to keep these temperature effects as low as possible, and recheck zero and calibrate regularly during use.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
drew765

Post by drew765 »

The scale I bought didn't have a setting for grains so I will be returning it and getting the Frankfort arsenal scale...
larryw

Post by larryw »

Fyodor told you right!! You can also add florescent lights, computer monitors, cell phones
lot's of other electrical stuff, temp as already stated, can & will mess with the digital scale.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I've read somewhere that Lyman newest digital scales has built in protection from these error mentioned. But the price indicated that improvement.

Return to “All Other Powder Handling Tools”