Tell a newbie about Lee Loader all-in-one basic kits?

The little red box that started it all!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Tell a newbie about Lee Loader all-in-one basic kits?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Here are my loaders, they represent all the rifle calibers that I shoot except the 38-55 Win and the 7.62x39. The 38-55 Win sells hard... expensive. I think they are very popular with the black powder shooter and everyone I've seen are unobtainable. Lee never made one for the 7.62x39.
RD_loaders.jpg
I will pull one out for short loading sessions rather than bring a press up to speed especially if that press is already being used for something else.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Oh, also don't have them for my 454 Casull and 480 Ruger rifles. Lee never made those either.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

As far as I'm concerned you guys are all masochists... :lol: and to think on another thread I posted, some were saying I was basically "nuts" for the brass prep I've started doing.... :D
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

For what it's worth my research says that Winchester run the last commercial run of loaded 32 Remington. It was in 1964. Brass was offered basically until it was gone from the last run over run possibly as late as 1972.
I think the model 14 and later 141 were the last of the rifles in the Remington 25,30 and 32, the 14 being discontinued in 1935.

The whack a mole tools are interchangeable for the 30 WCF/Rem or the 32s , FL press dies are not you can get by with an 80% neck size of the Remingtons with Winchester dies but the Remington sisters are Weatherby shouldered AI cartridges compared to the Winchester.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Haven't I seen some mention of a 30 Rem among the black rifle guys?

Maybe I imagined it, I sometimes do that :) .

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

30 AR a whole different critter . Closer to a .1 shorter 300 Savage. The 6.8 SPC is the 30 Remington shortened and necked down to 277.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

RBHarter wrote:30 AR a whole different critter . Closer to a .1 shorter 300 Savage. The 6.8 SPC is the 30 Remington shortened and necked down to 277.
I knew I'd seen mention of the 30 Rem someplace in conjunction with the AR family.
Thanks

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Horseman wrote:As far as I'm concerned you guys are all masochists... :lol: and to think on another thread I posted, some were saying I was basically "nuts" for the brass prep I've started doing.... :D
Usually those that bad mouth Lee Loaders, those that call you nuts, are those that tried to use them on the dining room table with a 16 oz. framing hammer, or never used one at all. I like it here because folks concentrate on Lee products and we don't have to read all the "Lee Hater" baloney.

My reasoning comes from being a HD Construction Equipment Mechanic for a large city utility. I witnessed many "tool snobs" in action. They thought their choice of tools was undoubtedly the best and everything else was less than junk; "Snap-On (or insert MAC, Proto, Williams, etc) are the best tools available and everything else is junk". They bought their tools because of cost ("most expensive gotta be the best, right?"), color/appearance, or what their favorite TV motorcycle builder or NASCAR pit crew used. Rarely did they buy tools by how well they worked.

I've found the same with reloading; "RCBS (or insert Redding, Dilon, Sinclair, etc.) is the best equipment and every thing else is less than junk". "My press costs 2x more than yours so my press is 2x better, right?" or"Elmer Kieth (or insert any gun rag celebrity) uses RCBS (or Hornady, Lyman, whatever) so it's gotta be best, right?". Many times equipment is purchased for reasons other than how well the tool does it's intended job. Thus a "Lee Hater" is born...

Jes an old, retired mechanic's thinkin'... ;)
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't recall any name calling. Just another reason why this is a great place.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

mikld, since your retort was obviously aimed at me I will tell you this. I am not a Lee "hater" in fact I have two Load Master presses on my bench along with a Lee Classic Cast SS press on another bench. I was just now thinking of ordering the new Lee Bench primer because I don't really care for my RCBS bench primer. To much trouble mounting the darn thing on a bench with the handle overhang. I did sell the Classic Turret press I had because I didn't like it particularly. I used to have a Lee Pro 20 pot, bought an RCBS Pro Melt after several years of using the Lee. Guess what? The Pro Melt IS a better pot. I had and used a Lee Loader when that's all I could afford when I was in college some 40 odd years ago. It did a job for me at the time. And, I don't dislike them at all, in fact I don't care one way or another about them. If they all disappeared tomorrow wouldn't bother me a bit. My remark was in jest (HENCE THE SMILEY FACES) on how much "fun" they were/are (to me) to use. O.K, so maybe that's just my opinion, but no where did I say anything about any Lee product being "junk"...but, if I felt that way I feel no need to apologize or answer to you for saying it.

Return to “Lee Loader®”