Killed Two Hogs This Weekend

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Killed Two Hogs This Weekend

Post by Ranch Dog »

Weird, I was working in my extended yard two evenings in a row and saw feral hogs operating within sight very late in the afternoon. I dropped what I was doing and set up on them for the shot. I killed one on Friday right before dark and one on Saturday at 7:00 pm. Shot both with my Savage 10FCM Scout chambered in 7.62x39using the 300 Sav bullet, the TLC310-165-RF, that I designed for NOE. With the rifle's .308 groove diameter this bullet is a better fit than my 7.62x39 .313" design (if all that made any sense?).

Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Killed Two Hogs This Weekend

Post by 62chevy »

You must have a walk in freezer for all the hog you shot. lol
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I wanted a walk-in but my wife vetoed it as she wants the meat packaged. I think it would be cool to walk in and take your choice of cut! A walk in cooler would allow me to hang critters and take my time processing them. I have three families living here on the ranch and all of us have storage freezers and eat a lot of pork!
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

For that rifle supposedly not selling well they sure are hard to find now.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I'm headed out tomorrow afternoon for Wealder Tx to spend next weekend on a hog/exotic ranch . I'm looking forward to it,last year the 6 of us put about 800# in the freezers.

I'm disappointed with the little time that I had to work up loads for cast and that 3 of the 4 rifles will be slinging jacketed. All hand loads but not all mine..... oh well next year righ?

264 WM detuned down to 308 levels with a SP 140 gr Winchester and 60gr of Win 857 surplus. In an FN 98 "Musketeer"
308 Win Savage 110 with IMR 4350 pushing a Hornady SST 165 around 2500 fps .
222 in Savage 340 with Federal factory 55s ,I don't have enough empty brass to work stuff up with any quantity to shoot in the field.
45 Colts 92' Rosschester H110 and 454424 going 1300 fps.
45 Colts RBH 7.5 with Lee 452-252 SWC weighing in at 262gr over 9.0 gr of Unique at 1050. The 92' doesn't like this at all and it was worked up to be a hog/deer load .
45 ACP that is clicking along at a paltry 800 - 840 fps with the 454424 that shoots to the "N" frames sights . I desperatly need a holster for this guy but I can alternate it and the Ruger back and forth .

I get to spend the weekend with my daughter and her Marine ,and a life long friend that I havent had any time with in several years .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Dig a Hawaiian emu pit and have a luau +guns
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:For that rifle supposedly not selling well they sure are hard to find now.
I've been pondering a 308 Win for awhile and decided to go with the first reasonably priced 10FCM I could find as I like the 7.62x39 so well. I had been thinking the newer 11 Scout or a 14 Classic but I found a like new 10 FCM on GunBroker for $450! In that I expected to pay around $700, that price sealed the deal!
RBHarter wrote:I'm headed out tomorrow afternoon for Wealder Tx to spend next weekend on a hog/exotic ranch .
You will be about 50 miles due north of me, expect temperatures at 85° or above during the day! Good luck!
daboone wrote:Dig a Hawaiian emu pit and have a luau +guns
Some workers are showing up tomorrow to concrete the floor of a large barn and they will be at it for two days in a row. I fed fellows working out here a lunch and we will have grilled pork both days!
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I don't check in until 3:00 pm Friday . It's 1700 miles down there from here I would be tickled to make a small deture to shake hands over lunch with The Ranch Dog. If you have a few minutes to spare .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:I don't check in until 3:00 pm Friday . It's 1700 miles down there from here I would be tickled to make a small deture to shake hands over lunch with The Ranch Dog. If you have a few minutes to spare .
You bet I do. I'll PM you a phone number and we will figure out what works best.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Love the friendly and family type atmosphere here. Love it
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”