Powder storage

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Powder storage

Post by Old Scribe »

I have made a lot of different items and tools that I've needed over the years. I'm going to build a container for storing powder and have some ideas of what I want.
What have any of you built for your powder storage/magazine? What material did you use? Just currious.

o s
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Powder storage

Post by daboone »

Regulations for transporting and storing smokeless powder:

10-3 SMOKELESS PROPELLANTS. 10-3.1 Quantities of smokeless propellants not exceeding 25 LB (11.3kg), in shipping containers approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation, may be transported in a private vehicle.

10-3.2 Quantities of smokeless propellants exceeding 25 lb. (11.3kg) but not exceeding 50 lb. (22.7 kg), transported in a private vehicle, shall be transported in a portable magazine having wood walls of at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

10-3.3 Transportation of more than 50 lb. (22.7 kg) of smokeless propellants in a private vehicle is prohibited.

10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb. (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb. (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb. (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.[/b]
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Old Scribe wrote:I have made a lot of different items and tools that I've needed over the years. I'm going to build a container for storing powder and have some ideas of what I want.
What have any of you built for your powder storage/magazine? What material did you use? Just currious.
I always thought this Beartooth article a good reference as it was written by a firefighter who describes his experience with a fire at a gun shop and how his experience at that location could influence your decisions in where and how to store your powder. Smokeless Powder & Primer Storage
Michael
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

@daboone:
You make me jealous... Heaven for reloaders.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

I have an 18 cubic foot chest freezer that we have in case of an emergency (never used it so far) that I lined with 1 inch red oak on the advice of a firefighter friend that I use for powder storage.
Works great and is out of sight, out of mind for anyone coming into my garage.
It is amazing how much powder can be stored in 18 cubic feet

beekeeper
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

I don't think UPS or Fed-X have wood boxes to store powder in. but I could be wrong.
Last edited by 62chevy on 23 May 2015 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
Je suis Charlie
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

We also don't package that way for shipping. I've shipped up to 30,000 lbs of powder in the form of loaded propelling charges bagged in tubes 48 per pallet. They are basically loose powder on a linen sack in a steel tube with a twist lock lid,36-51 lbs per.

The NFPA suggests a nominal 1 inch wood cabinet with a blowout panal up to 36 lbs per cabinet, cabinets separated by 25 ft of open or 8 ft with cement barrier wall partitions of not less than 4x8 feet on both sides up to 400 lbs total.
Beyond that you are required to have a bunker that will confine and vent any blast or fire.

A private vehicle may carry more than 50# but it must be placarded with proper DOT placards.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Old Scribe »

Thanks for all your input. I am familiar with the federal and state regs. Right now I store powder in a plywood box with a hinged lid but need to make a change in the location of it and build a large container.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Bottom line, just make sure you are never containing the possible pressure of whatever container you store the powder inside. The more solid the container then the more it's going to allow the pressure to build then the worse it is. If you want to build a box then a thin later of plywood and the more layers of drywall the better.
Chickenthief
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by Chickenthief »

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”