30-06 to 8mm

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
Pb2au
My Press Choice: Turret

30-06 to 8mm

Post by Pb2au »

After a little bit of research and thinking, I tried out converting 30-06 brass to 8mm tonight. I'm happy to report that it worked perfectly.
So the only two tricks that I can pass on are;
On the full length resizing die (lee of course), the ball expanded/decapper is held into the die with the collet arrangement. If you try and muscle the brass through the 8mm die, the odds are on you will get it stuck, or you will get the decapper to slip in the collet. Then it will be stuck. So, first, remove the expander ball rod decapper from the FL resizing die. Take some 1500 grit sandpaper and give the expander ball a quick polish. The is will help. Also give the die a cleaning while you are at it.
Now reassemble the die and mount it into the press. But, do not run it all the way down to normal position. Run it down so you can feel the mouth of the brass barely touch. What you want to do is run it down in quarter turn increments. Each time you turn it down, run the brass through it. Turn it, repeat. The idea is to slowly set that shoulder back with each stroke.
When the die is fully set down to it's normal adjusted position in the press, the primer will be ejected, the case fully formed to 8 mm profile.
Remember, you will have to trim the case to proper length after you form it.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Re: 30-06 to 8mm

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Thanks on. I need to try that with 7.7 jap from 30-06 tomorrow. It should be a lot easier also because the press isn't working hard with those small steps also.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Thanks again pb. I did the 7.7 jap and then some 8mm from lc 30-06. It was fast and didn't loose a single one. The press is working at its max effective fulcrum doing it your way also so it is easy and fast.
You don't have a fast way to cut them don to proper length, do you?
I have used deemed tool to approximate length but still have to turn on Lyman trimmer.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Zippidydoodah wrote:Thanks again pb. I did the 7.7 jap and then some 8mm from lc 30-06. It was fast and didn't loose a single one. The press is working at its max effective fulcrum doing it your way also so it is easy and fast.
You don't have a fast way to cut them don to proper length, do you?
I have used deemed tool to approximate length but still have to turn on Lyman trimmer.
I just ordered the quick trim attachment in 8mm and will see how it works. May still use deemed to get it close and then quick trim for uniform length. Jap is 0.20" longer may be able to use it within adjustment. They don't offer it in jap. I have lee hand trimmer. It is slow.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I really don't want to give up my stash source of 8mm but if you shop GunBroker.com you will see it for sale fairly often. I've bought a few hundred prvi partizan 8mm brass there. So far it's been VERY good brass.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I really don't want to give up my stash source of 8mm but if you shop GunBroker.com you will see it for sale fairly often. I've bought a few hundred prvi partizan 8mm brass there. So far it's been VERY good brass.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I had a good supply of 30-06 and wanted to make some strong 8mm and 7.7jap. I used lake city brass to the 2 cal's.
I Drrmel cut some and then finished them up using the quick trim. Not bad for a two step process. I also have the drill bit attachment so used the var. speed drill with the old cutter head and deprimer type rod and cut my total time more than 50% and the trimmer did every one to same dimension. Still had to hand ream inside/outside edge but shells look perfect.
Only caveat is since 30-06 is lots longer. Deprimer rod doesn't reach into pocket for about 0.050" so it chatters while cutting. Also don't have the ball-type holder so it is a little harder to hold. Will purchase that next. Will do 7.7 jap as have that kit already. I thought about doing it on quick trim but only have 0.010" adjustment. Could use a shim under the bushing but I was cranking about 300 revs to get each one sized. Chucking into drill takes longer than cutting! Can't say which way is best yet, but quick trim is safer for sure.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I loaded up some lee 8mm RN 175 grain lead bullets in the brass and thought that quick Trim might be able to cut a wide meplat on the RN .
Sure enough, took 12 turns to get .200 meplat on the lead. I'll weigh one tomorrow before and after to see how much weight The bullet looses .
I'm thinking 5-10 gr max. Probably don't need to flat point these anyway but just experimenting.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I would love to see that if you can get an up close pic.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Bullet on left should be Hornady 170 grain round nose. Other two are Lee 8mm 175 round nose . One I put in the quick trim and it has a tit in the center from the hole in the center of the cutter. I thought about using Dremel cutoff but since these are expirimenting will leave it and shoot in a gallon water bottle. Have them loaded with 15 grains unique while jacketed is loaded with 50.5 gr ram shot hunter (100%)

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”