Classic Loader workflow and hints

The little red box that started it all!
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Classic Loader workflow and hints

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I would very much consider ordering the flaring tool at .358" or .359" if the plan is to use anything besides jacketed.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I would very much consider ordering the flaring tool at .358" or .359" if the plan is to use anything besides jacketed.
that's exactly what I had to begin with. It opened up so much that I ended up with no "neck" (or case mouth) tension .... I suppose due to the fact that the brass is tapered ... and maybe not completely full length resized? I just remember loading .357-.3575 cast bullets, the flare tool for 38,357 definitely opened up too much for me. Also had a hard time seating bullets square in the case mouth since the "die" is pretty loose during the seating process (again, I suppose due to the tapered case design).

That's all just my own, somewhat limited, personal experience and observations. I would love for better instructions on making the 9mm kit work with plated bullets, which is the only bullet I load (with dies) for the few 9mm's here.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

Wow, thanks a lot guys for your valuable input! Please keep on going, this is some interesting stuff!

I'll forward the current findings to the German guy and see what he's saying. He didn't tell if he uses jacketed or cast, but he also plans to buy a set for .223Rem.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The charge tables with the kit can be limited and are US available powders. Let me know what powders he plans to use and I will build a table for the dipper with QuickLoad with the same precautions that Lee uses.
Michael
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Thank, but he has a good scale and some reloading experience, so he'll make up his own tables for each batch of powder. He's just interested in the simplicity and elegance of these tools, and the option to do some quick test rounds with different settings on the range. The same reason why I got a few of these in the shopping cart of my favorite reloading supplier for a year now... but I haven't ordered them yet, because I got the hand press which does about the same job using about the same space, but creating less noise.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

mikld

Post by mikld »

mr surveyor wrote:
mikld wrote:When in doubt, go with the folks that made 'em :lol: http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/RE1423.pdf

True. I did call Lee when I was having so much trouble trying to load Berry's plated bullets, as well as plain cast for the 9mm, and they informed me that the Lee Loader was designed for jacketed diameter bullets only, and a "slight flare" might still be needed. With no flaring tool supplied specific for the 9mm, I tried to lightly use the flaring tool made for the 38/357 but was inconsistent. Actually using the tip of needle nose pliers worked better, but was slow and still somewhat inconsistent. After 200-300 rounds, I put the 9mm kit away and loaded a lot of 38 and 357 rounds with that kit in my first year. Since jacketed bullets were the best fit for the Lee Loader, the bullet cost took all the fun out of the "project" for me.

jd
Umm, yep, but my link was to the instructions for using a Lee Loader. Isn't that what you asked for originally? The only "hint" besides what Lee says is I like to use a heavy mallet/hammer to give the dies more of a "push" rather than a "tap, tap, tap". I haven't popped any primers in 4 of my Lee Loaders with this method...
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

I know this is not the subject matter requested but I do have one "tip" or at least an extra piece of equipment that makes using the Lee Loader system "better" for rifle loading. First reloading I ever did was with one of these "things". Myself and a friend, both being married and going to college on the GI bill (1969) both liked to hunt and shoot so figured we'd just "load our own" to save money. Well, it worked but one item "needed" was a full length size die and Lyman/Ideal filled the bill. No longer made of course, but you can occasionally find one for sale. They work very well, they are slow, tedious, pain in the butt, so they fit right in with the rest of the Lee Loader. ;) No way you could get me to use one of those things again, for a "kit" loader today I'd much rather use the Lee Hand Loader with regular dies. Almost as compact, almost as inexpensive, (more so compared to some of the LL kits I've seen for sale) and all around a better system. Course that's just my opinion, but just being able to use regular dies is a BIG plus. By the way, if anyone out there has one of the LL kits for 270W and would like a Lyman/Ideal sizer I still have one around here. Yes, you'll like using it, you get to hit it with a hammer too. :D
mikld

Post by mikld »

I prolly wouldn't use one, a Lee Loader, if I only had one method of reloading (but,30 years ago a Lee Loader was all I could afford). But, today I have 4 presses, several die sets, and 1.341 tons of assorted reloading tools, but still, when I feel "retro", I'll grab one of my 5 Lee Loaders and "pound out" a box of ammo. I'm not into Rounds per Hour statistics, and have no quotas, so the Lee Loader fits a specific nitche for me. ;)
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

mikld wrote:I prolly wouldn't use one, a Lee Loader, if I only had one method of reloading (but,30 years ago a Lee Loader was all I could afford). But, today I have 4 presses, several die sets, and 1.341 tons of assorted reloading tools, but still, when I feel "retro", I'll grab one of my 5 Lee Loaders and "pound out" a box of ammo. I'm not into Rounds per Hour statistics, and have no quotas, so the Lee Loader fits a specific nitche for me. ;)
I'm actually in a little pain right now from laughing so hard. I'm always glad to see I'm not the only one with the madness. :D
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Well, it's not that bad for me, yet, but the increase is amazing. Two years ago I had nothing, today I own four presses and more die sets than guns, even if I only load three different loads :confused:.

I guess everything combined could be close to 100kg now, if I don't count the boolits. They are already close to that, alone.

Return to “Lee Loader®”