Auto Drum Measure

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Auto Drum Measure

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Time for me to do a rather abrupt about face. I went from having some very consistent drops with the Auto Drum to today where it was so erratic that I went back to the Pro Auto out of frustration. I was trying to get a 5.0gr drop each time and got some wild swings from 3.7 to 7.4 and everything between. I broke the whole using down to check for issues, clean, and wipe down with a dryer sheet and it went right back to the same thing again. For the life of me I couldn't get it right. And as soon as I picked the right cavity on a disk I got a steady boring routine of 4.9gr each and nearly every single time with a random 4.8gr every now and then.

First there was the rigmarole with the 9mm and now this. I'm getting a very bipolar feeling for the Auto Drum.

And I need to get off the pot and just order one of the two microdisk alternates out there. Right now I'm leaning on the Titan option just for the price. I'm just sick of wanting yet another piece of gear.

Oh, and I just saw the new Hornady "Quick Trickle" so I'm going to need one of those too.

It never ends... :oops:
Rmelchiori
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Rmelchiori »

Just curious if anyone is running a baffle in the new auto drum? I changed to the auto drum because I didn't like having to choose a disk that only came close to the charge I wanted. I wanted to drop 4.2 grains of Titegroup. My choices are disc A .34 to drop 4 grains or the next chamber, .37 and drop 4.4 grains. I tried the Lee adjustable charge bar and couldn't get any consistency with it. The Auto Drum works well for me. I am please with the results that I'm getting and I'm using the baffle that Titan 3D prints.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

I have not tried using a baffle with it. I can't see where a baffle would help much, the measure has such a small opening from the hopper and the "housing" holds a LOT of powder below the hopper. But, I'd be willing to try one to see if it makes a difference or not. I've never had to use a baffle in any Pro disk measure though. You know, I've read so many posts of people that have issues with the adjustable charge bar. I've been using them off and on for years and have never had a problem with one. I will preface this by saying I don't think I've ever tried to run less than a 4gr. drop through it, and that was Bullseye. Darn things have always been spot on for me.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

The only measure if found that benefits from a baffle is the Lyman 55. Consistency of operation of any measure it what make the difference in consistent measurements. Well some measures just don't work well with some types of powders. It's important to understand that.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”