Cast Bullet Lube/Wax Affecting COAL in Bullet Seating Die

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Cast Bullet Lube/Wax Affecting COAL in Bullet Seating Die

Post by Ranch Dog »

Another thing that I am going to need to overcome if the Load Masters are going to work for me is curing the slightly decreasing OAL that is a result of lube/wax build up in the bullet seating die. Working on the turret press were I'm handling ever round makes it easier to check for the build up and continuously adjust the bullet seating stem upward when necessary. This can be done with the LM but it interrupts the press' speed advantage and it seems the need to find a fix would be better for any press.

After spending some time studying the 380 Auto & 9mm Luger bullet seating plugs, I'm going to see if I can talk Al at NOE into coming up with something to replace the stock plug. I think a hollow steel tube of the appropriate diameter would work. It would need the flat upper end that mates with the bullet seating stem and that flat would need the hollow of the tubing to continue through it. The bullet end of the tube would need the inside diameter of the tube to be machined at near the same angle that the factory plug is machined but the edge of the tube would need to be thinner, compared to the factory plug, so that it would get through the lube and mate with the ogive of any bullet. The thin edge of the contact point is more about not providing a surface for the wax to collect.

The wax "bugger" is still going to build up at some point in the tube but a "jag" could be used to clear the tube quickly. This is something that has bugged me over the years and it is time to find a fix. It has bugged a lot of other as Google will tell you but no one has really taken it on.
Michael
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Cast Bullet Lube/Wax Affecting COAL in Bullet Seating Di

Post by DaveInGA »

RD,

I have seen this lube build up with every single progressive I've ever owned where I loaded cast boolits, with every single brand of dies I've owned, new or used. Presses include a Dillon 550, 650, Hornady LnL AP/EzJect, RCBS Pro 2000 and I expect, if I use the Loadmaster for cast bullets, to see it again.

I know the reason for the powder coat and epoxy coatings for cast bullets is probably stemming from the issue in progressives. Wether it has solved it I cannot say.

But here's something that can used I do know, from the experiences with other presses: If no other method, one can address the buildup issue by taking notes where and when it starts affecting the current press and die you're using at the present. Once you know the round count, you can address/significantly reduce the problem of the issue with preventative maintenance cleaning.

That said, I'll be interested very interested in hearing your results. Are you still finding older style lubes to be the better performers with cast bullets? I've somewhat been out of the game the past couple years and a lot has happened I've missed related to the newer lubing methodologies. I haven't had the opportunity to explore, as taking care of my ailing/dying father, then myself and starting a new business has pulled me away from my love of shooting to more serious pursuits.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Powder coating sure did solve the wax build up for 308 Win and 380 acp, the 45 acp didn't seam to care. My problem now with the 308 Win seating die is leaving a ring around the nose. I have a Dremel but need a grinding stone to fit and flare the mouth some.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

What I did was clean the bullet noses off before I started, a bit tedious but I clean them anyway after the cartridges are finished. I will add the the Ben's Liquid Lube recipe makes the task very easy. It also has me thinking about the Johnson's Liquid Wax used in the mix. Why not just try coating my low pressure bullets with it and no Alox. I use to apply Rooster Jacket and it worked fine. The product reminds me of what the Johnsons dries into.

I have a bunch of 25 Auto bullet ready to lube. I think I will use the straight Johnson a small batch of them and see how they perform.
Michael
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

RD,

I read about something similar to the Ben's liquid lube, but it contained three ingredients. I looked for it again, but have been unable to find it. I think it was over on Loadmastervideo forum, but I'm not sure.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

DaveInGA wrote:RD,
I read about something similar to the Ben's liquid lube, but it contained three ingredients.
That sounds more like Ben's Red, his original lube.
DaveInGA wrote:I looked for it again, but have been unable to find it. I think it was over on Loadmastervideo forum, but I'm not sure.
Here is a link to the recipe: Ben's Liquid Lube on the Art & Science of Bullet Casting
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I'm replacing more of my bullet seating inserts with flat bases so I may get build up worse. But I would rather have to wipe them down from time to time and have more of a "universal" insert than the actual Lee universal.

Perhaps a flat tip hollow ground bit that's long enough could reach into the die without too much effort.

I can't immediately find one but if these had the flat tips:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/S ... q8lKr5&s=p
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

alibaba... that is where I made the initial contact with the outfit in China that built my planter!

I agree with the flat punch for the bullet seating stem.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

DaveInGA wrote:RD,

I read about something similar to the Ben's liquid lube, but it contained three ingredients. I looked for it again, but have been unable to find it. I think it was over on Loadmastervideo forum, but I'm not sure.
You may be thinking of the mix of LLA, Johnson's paste wax and mineral spirits.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

I used to fight with that build up in my seating die. What I tried when it needed cleaning one time was:
Removed the turret.
Dumped the powder hopper.
Directed the flame from a butane torch upward into the seating die.
Give the stuff a few seconds to burn, doesn't even get the die hot.
Shove a rag in the die and turn it to remove dirty ash.
Go back to work.

At the first sign of build up I do this now. It's quick and easy.

Return to “Handgun”