Forum Tool Rental Discussion

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Forum Tool Rental Discussion

Post by RBHarter »

Seems like some of these small boards ought to have traveling tools ...... I've needed 1 several times and wanted to spend the money but defered to other means for the tear down and remedial clamped blocks for reassembly. ....... no help but maybe we'll be inspired.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Barrel Vice and Action Wrench

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:Seems like some of these small boards ought to have traveling tools ...... I've needed 1 several times and wanted to spend the money but defered to other means for the tear down and remedial clamped blocks for reassembly. ....... no help but maybe we'll be inspired.
Kind of breaking the BST rules by promoting a discussion but the only problem with shipping these items are that they are heavy. The out and back would cost as much as buying one. It never works out well if the item isn't returned to a central source; hence, the out and back shipping.

I have a Wheeler barrel vise and it is very heavy. Barrel wrenches are specific to the barrel are best but same shipping issues with them. I have a Savage.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Always a potential. I have a Savage and a AR wrench as well and have been lucky so far with 96 and 98 Mausers . Just seems a shame for a guy to have to spend upwards of $200 for a tool he might use 10x in a lifetime where a community rented tool even with a security deposit would get used 100 s of times . I'd build a heavy duty box for a large flat rate box and send it that way even if a guy had to have his own cheater $32 round trip would be cheap compared to buying a set outdright. probably wouldn't work where you have 30,000 members but where you have 500 and only 100 active every week it would stand a better chance of success.

Violation penalties accepted gracefully.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

You would also need to receive something back towards the tool, say $10 to $25. So, a guy would send the exchequer a $XXX deposit through PayPal and then once returned the deposit be returned minus the rental fee and shipping be returned through PayPal.

I will measure my Wheeler and see if it will fit the dimensions of any of the flat rate box. Have to have a definite time period for the return and late fee.

I'm gon'na throw this out there. I was involved with a national airplane owners association as an officer, with about 2K members. Tool rentals caused more heartaches than you can believe and that is why I'm gun shy about the idea. Kinda of back to the idea of never lending a tool. The "Tool Officer" always ended up getting so tired of the issues he would quit the association. Accepting the job was a death sentence as far as being a member was concerned so that is why I would approach this as forum activity with caution.

This isn't about beekeeper need as I will happily send him my vise and Savage wrench if he wants to use it. This part of the conversation is about doing it on a forum wide basis and a discuss as such.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Forum Tool Rental Discussion

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've split this idea into a new topic so that beekeeper's WTB ad is not involved.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I have used reamers from C4D (I think that's right) they're requirements are pretty simple .
Select the tool (s)
Secure with a CC or mail 1 check for shipping and rental and a 2nd to replace the lost damaged or unreturned tools .
They ship tracked ,you have the tool for 7 days from receiving . They're policy has some wiggle room allowing closer to 10 days for pickup and into return shipping,and slop for shipping and their return to stock.
When the tool (s) are logged into stock the card hold is released and or the 2nd check returned or issued with charges applied for damage or excessive wear. (Like you rented a reamer for matched bbls and did 20 sending back a dull tool)

Now if only I had the tools at hand .......
Last edited by RBHarter on 17 Dec 2015 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Other thoughts .

Another forum that I frequent has a monthly lottery it is made clear that the forum has no interest or share in it . The forum is about the same size and activity as this one and in coming up on 3 yrs there hasn't been a failure .......couple of slackers but no failures .

A tool pool I would expect to be managed In a similar way with no particular member being exclusively responsible for the library nor the forum being in any way held accountable as anything other than a communication point.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

PayPal or Postal Money orders would probably be best as credit card services are expensive.

I've rented reamers a number of times and it is relatively painless. I wonder if any of those outfits rent the vises or barrel wrenches.
Michael
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by buckeye43210 »

Ranch Dog wrote:PayPal or Postal Money orders would probably be best as credit card services are expensive.

I've rented reamers a number of times and it is relatively painless. I wonder if any of those outfits rent the vises or barrel wrenches.
What would we call such a place? Maybe GunToolRentals.com :-)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeap, the Mosin wrench is free for feedback!
Michael

Return to “Topic Bucket”