Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die

Post by Steve »

If you are adjusting it correctly, I don't know what, unless there is a burr holding the crimp color up.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Poppop »

I think I'll call Lee tomorrow.
I really don't know if I need a crimp on .38 for a revolver. I don't bell the cartridge much when seating the lead bullet.
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

On the Lee CFCD I thought the correct setting was to screw the die in to touch the shell plate/shell holder, not the case mouth, and THEN adjust for crimp with the screw in adjuster.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Poppop »

Screw the die down to the shell holder then insert a case with a bullet in it to adjust the crimp and screwed it down until it hits the lead, remove the bullet and turn the adjuster another half turn or so and try a crimp and adjust as needed.
Well I did all this as many times as Einstein would call it INSANITY.
I loaded w/o a crimp and seems to make no real difference in accuracy so I will stop the INSANITY and not crimp .38 cal
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

Poppop wrote:Screw the die down to the shell holder then insert a case with a bullet in it to adjust the crimp and screwed it down until it hits the lead, remove the bullet and turn the adjuster another half turn or so and try a crimp and adjust as needed.
I loaded w/o a crimp and seems to make no real difference in accuracy so I will stop the INSANITY and not crimp .38 cal
Revolver calibers need crimp even more than pistol calibers in most cases. Get your crimp die fixed or get -another brand that works, but I think it ill-advised not to crimp those cartridges. That said, you can crimp with the seating die. You DO NOT want those bullets pulling out of the case during recoil causing your revolver to jam at a most critical point.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Poppop wrote:Screw the die down to the shell holder then insert a case with a bullet in it to adjust the crimp and screwed it down until it hits the lead, remove the bullet and turn the adjuster another half turn or so and try a crimp and adjust as needed.
Just a thought Poppop, are you maybe expecting to see what looks like a roll crimp? the FCD does not apply a roll crimp, it just applies a slight tapper crimp.
buddha1percent

Post by buddha1percent »

Well my lee crimp die does both when you look at the tool a roll crimp on one side when it is turned the other way a taper crimp
I like roll crimp because I use projectiles with a crimp groove cast in to the bullet.
Makes adjustment easier.
The issue as ALLWAYS is case size consistency.
Even after I cut them to length with the Lee too there are some variation.
I have been considering making a trimmer that will cut my .45 colt cases down to Schofield length this way I can get way more loadings out of them.
Since I load cowboy action loads (powder puff) loads for shooting in the backyard I don't stretch my cases hardly at all the only wear is in the primer pockets and the case mouth (from crimping)
I just loaded up about 650 rounds of .45 colt for spring and summer shooting.
That's a lot on a single stage.
Check your bullet depth you may be to far out of the case mouth to feel the small movement in the handle as the case mouth crimps
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

buddha1percent wrote:Well my lee crimp die does both when you look at the tool a roll crimp on one side when it is turned the other way a taper crimp
I never heard about that... what would you turn upside down? Can you post a picture? I can't imagine what you might mean.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
buddha1percent

Post by buddha1percent »

The cylinder that is inside the die when the cartridge enters from one direction it will taper crimp from the others roll crimp.
Is your projectile in the case far enough. That the mouth of the case can close around it just a little?
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

I didn't realize that before. I'll take a closer look on that next time.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

Return to “Handgun”