The joys of microcrust windows 10

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: The joys of microcrust windows 10

Post by Fyodor »

Luckily my laptop doesn't show the 10 icon. I will wait installing it as long as possible. What I don't like is that you have no control over your computer any more. MS can and will update whatever system files they want whenever they want, without notifying. They are able to install any software on your PC without your permission, and (what most disturbs me) also can uninstall whatever they want, without you in control.

I'll stick with 7, until no software's running on it.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

DaveInGA wrote:
62chevy wrote:WoW !!! I am so glad I don't need to use any Windows or Apple software. Linux has worked for me since 1999. But I'm not running a business or need software that would need it.
I would like to be running Linux, but unfortunately, when it comes to application softwares, microcrust has been the dominant force in the market forever. I've wished for many years to switch over to Linux and would, if the support by the application companies were there, but thanks to those who want lots of buttons to click on, all the applications are microcrust.:/
Linux is great on servers and is great for home use. Any thing you can do at home with Windows can be done with Linux. The work place is another story.
Je suis Charlie
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

I have linux for most things, and a win XP that is not connected to the internet for the programs that will not run on linux.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

farmerjim wrote:I have linux for most things, and a win XP that is not connected to the internet for the programs that will not run on linux.
I've done the same and ran XP in VirtualBox but haven't used it in a long time.
Je suis Charlie
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by DaveInGA »

I got winders 10 downloaded for the second puter and all the application software up and running, so that's behind me. I do wish I had a spare computer, I think I'd download linux and see how these aps function on linux. 10 isn't bad as microcrust products go, but I do not like how they want to nose into your computer and see what you're doing.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

DaveInGA wrote:I got winders 10 downloaded for the second puter and all the application software up and running, so that's behind me. I do wish I had a spare computer, I think I'd download linux and see how these aps function on linux. 10 isn't bad as microcrust products go, but I do not like how they want to nose into your computer and see what you're doing.
Download VirtualBox and test Linux on Vbox. The learning curve is short for Vbox and intuitive. I ran XP on Vbox for 5 or 6 years with out any problems and Linux runs just as good. I've read reports of Windows 7 running just as good so sure 8 and 10 would be no problem.

Keep in mind being a business you will have to pay for VirtualBox, personal use is free and believe you have a trial period before buying not sure what that is.
Je suis Charlie
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

My computer is an older HP 4600 workstation that's been "reworked"...lot's of memory and is pretty fast. It weighs a ton and is noisy with 5 fans running, but I like it. I originally installed windows 7 but when this "free" windows 10 came along I downloaded it. Used it for a couple weeks but didn't care much for it. I don't "need" all the apps and "extras" as it's just for personal pleasure and while it worked well it was a bit disconcerting to use, for me. I uninstalled it and went back to 7 and will stay there as long as I get support.
larryw

Post by larryw »

Have Win 7, it does what I need just fine, I like it My sis got a new puter A year or so ago with Win 8, I messed with it a good bit & can
honestly say, I hate it, won't have it, don't want it. Have never
seen 10, if it's anything like 8, I don't want to.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

larryw wrote:Have Win 7, it does what I need just fine, I like it My sis got a new puter A year or so ago with Win 8, I messed with it a good bit & can
honestly say, I hate it, won't have it, don't want it. Have never
seen 10, if it's anything like 8, I don't want to.
Larry my granddaughter got a laptop for Christmas with 10 installed. It's a cross between 7 and 8 but closer to 7 just those nasty icons from 8 on the desk top. But you still have the "Start" button in the lower left task bar.
Je suis Charlie
larryw

Post by larryw »

Thanks 62, appreciate the info. I'll give it some more time &
keep watching reviews then give it a look.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns

Return to “Topic Bucket”