A Scout Rifle Is Made... Savage 340

Open forum for rifles.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: A Scout Rifle Is Made... Savage 340

Post by Ranch Dog »

DaveInGA wrote:What made you get rid of the Rossi?
I own too many guns. Before you say "you can't own too many", yes you can. I have more guns on the ranch than my FFL has in his store. I put three Single Shots on his consignment rack because I'm not shooting them. A brand new 308 Win/12 Gauge combo, a 12 Gauge Slug Gun/Muzzleloader, and a 44 Mag.

The 308 Win is just sloppy and it is reflected in the MOA it shoots. I sent it back to Rossi, they said I damaged it and put a new forearm on it. I had just received it from Bud's and didn't like the slop in the barrel fit so I sent it to them. Don't know how I could have damaged it as Bud's doesn't remove them from the boxes, they ship sealed, and I had not taken up the hill to the range yet.

The Slug Gun was not going to get used. I bought it for a public hunt that required them but that requirement went away. It shot very well with the Lee slugs. I'm not a black powder guy, too much trouble.

I might regret the turning the 44 Mag as it was a nice rifle and hard to find nowadays being the Single Shots were discontinued. Still I have a Rossi R92 and Marlin 44P so they cover my 44 Mag needs very well. Also have two 444 Marlins; a "P" & "T" so my 44 ticket is punched.
DaveInGA wrote:How the heck did I miss these? These are finer than frog hairs! That pad installation could not have gone any better. Great job RD!
Thank you!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Okay, it's done.

On to the sighting in and hog killing.
Michael
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

Job well done. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

Ranch Dog wrote:Okay, it's done.

On to the sighting in and hog killing.
Talk about silk purses and pig's ears. She's a purty one RD and has that handsome patina only age and proper care can give a rifle. It takes an enormous amount of work to make new walnut look as dense and finely burnished as that wood looks.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks guys. Good thing about this purse, is that it doesn't have a whole lot of money in it. I polished the stock with Birchwood Casey's Stock Sheen & Conditioner using 0000 steel wool and then their Gun Stock Wax. Really made the wood come alive.

I replaced a couple of small parts in the bolt & ejector that I've known to cause problems and bought spares, one each, of those parts. The front slight swivel stud was loose in the stock, I punched it out and reseated it with Gorilla Glue. The aft sling swivel stud was not all the way in the stock, drilled it a bit deeper and seated it. Used white spacers as washers to get them tight and aligned. Of course, the scout mount and recoil pad were covered earlier in the topic.

The Weaver Scout I bought for the rifle will be here today and once the rain passes, I will start on the loadwork. Going to use Leverevolution.

Oh still need to stamp the barrel but want to practice a bit once the barrel stock arrives.
Michael
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Steve wrote:Tell me about the cheek piece RD. I need one on my Henry.
It's a God' A Grip! The particular model on the rifle is the LSRCP. I use these on a number of rifles. I had this one on a Rossi Single Shot I just sold. I slowly peeled it off and it stuck right on this rifle as tight as a drum!
The top of the stock on the Henry is flat. Do you think the pad will form over it?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steve wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:
Steve wrote:Tell me about the cheek piece RD. I need one on my Henry.
It's a God' A Grip! The particular model on the rifle is the LSRCP. I use these on a number of rifles. I had this one on a Rossi Single Shot I just sold. I slowly peeled it off and it stuck right on this rifle as tight as a drum!
The top of the stock on the Henry is flat. Do you think the pad will form over it?
Probably but also look at the other pads that they offer. They give the measurements so draw some out on paper and see what they look like.
Michael
Dan 444
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Dan 444 »

Nice, nice, nice! That is one slick looking rifle.
Dan
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I took the 340 up the range late Saturday after I finished some needed chores on the place but turned around and went back to the house as there were 7 tom turkeys at the 100 yard berm feeding. Went back up right before dark and shot some loads of Varget with the Hornady 170-grains FP. Not bad but it could be better.

Yesterday, I loaded up five round using the Speer #2017 RN with a max load of 33.0-grains of Varget and went back up to the range. I only loaded five as I've pulled enough ammo and have learned to keep it small until you are sure. It helps in that the range is just a few steps from the loading bench as well.

It was hot for sure and winter is over. We had a westerly flow the last five days which always sets us in motion for being Arizona like. As the dew point drops the temperature really rises. Check it out for the last day of January!

Anyway, shot two and went down to the berm to look. 8" higher than the 170-grain bullet at max (2250 FPS vs. 2100 FPS). The two holes were not impressive so I looked down the barrel and noticed that the light copper fouling made by the Hornady bullets was gone :?:

Made an adjustment to the Weaver Scout, shot one, made a small adjustment, and shot my last two rounds. At 100 yards those little Speers went into the same hole at the edge of the orange bullseye dot!

This is what I saw the the Rem 150-grain Core-Lokts. This Speer bullet has worked extremely well in my Rem 722 300 Savage and both my Savage 10FCM Scouts (308 Win & 7.62x39 with a .308" groove) so I bought three hundred more last night just to keep around. My best friend uses it in his two Rem 700 308 Wins exclusively. He is Lee Loader guys. Whacks out what he needs when he needs it and is happy as a clam.

I will load an inventory run today and finish shooting the range work this week. Also will work on a hog with the rifle. From here is is on to my linotype oven baked bullets to end the 30 Caliber blues!
Michael
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

Looking good, I'm jealous. Just starting to get in a couple rifles and need to do some casting and some hand load tuning for those .45ACP carbines/pistols I bought.

Return to “Rifle Discussions”