primers, powder and temperature

All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
psal217050
My Press Choice: Turret

primers, powder and temperature

Post by psal217050 »

I saw where the CCI small primers were recommended on the Loadmaster. Is that the same for the Turret?

Also, a friend recommended Power Pistol but said that keeping it in a garage where temps go up and down is not a good idea. I can't use the basement right now (son uses it as an apartment) so I was going to keep the powder and primers in the house (secured) until needed and then go to the garage to reload.

Any other suggestions?

Pete
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: primers, powder and temperature

Post by Steve »

psal217050 wrote:I saw where the CCI small primers were recommended on the Loadmaster. Is that the same for the Turret?

Also, a friend recommended Power Pistol but said that keeping it in a garage where temps go up and down is not a good idea. I can't use the basement right now (son uses it as an apartment) so I was going to keep the powder and primers in the house (secured) until needed and then go to the garage to reload.

Any other suggestions?

Pete
Extreme fluctuating temperatures is not good for primer or powder storage. I'm my experience high temps in the summer are worse. I keep all my primers and a days use of powder stored in the house (I do 99% of my loading in the house). When I get powder or other components out of the shop for loading, I bring it into the house a day ahead of time to allow all component temperatures to equalize before use. This Eliminates the chance of condensation on any components.
psal217050

Post by psal217050 »

I wish I could reload in the house, maybe in a year, but I can't. So is it better to leave the powder out in the garage and load it there in the winter or store it inside and bring it out when needed.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

I started reloading and casting in the mid 60,s. I moved where it was hard to impossible to reload until a couple of years ago. All of my powder and primers were stored in a South Louisiana attic and barn. The temperatures it these places varied from about 140 in the summer sun to about 20 in the cold of winter.
I did not have any power pistol, but I had bullseye, unique , Herco, Red Dot, Alcan, and too many IMR powders to list. I have bought more powders, But I am still using these 45 year old primers and powder.
There are numerous posts on other forums of others that have done the same, or been given old primers and powder and it worked fine. There are a few where old powder has gone bad, but it was evident by the looks and smell. All of my powder was sealed in metal or cardboard and foil cans while it was stored. Mine and many others have found that extreme fluctuations in temperature do not harm powder or primers. I have even used primers that have gotten wet and then dried with success. I would agree with Steve to not bring powder or other components from a cold to warm area without letting the temperatures equalize to prevent condensation.
psal217050

Post by psal217050 »

Would the same should be true about bringing from a warm to a cold area? From what you just said, I might be better off leaving the primers and powder where I will be reloading. Temperatures in the garage probably go from the high 30s to the high 80s unless we have extreme cold or heat. Thanks for the input.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

Warm to cold does not cause condensation that I know. Think of glasses, scopes, binoculars, camera lenses. They fog up with condensation when you go from a cold area to a warm one. Warm air will hold more water vapor than cold air. When you take something cold (an iced drink) into warm air, the air next to the container is cooled to below the dew point and condensation occurs. If you take a cup of hot coffee out into the cold there will be steam formed as the water vapor coming off of it is cooled .But the cup itself will be dry.
psal217050

Post by psal217050 »

Never was good at that. all I know is that I go out to the car in the winter, put on my glasses and can't see out of them. Guess I fogged them up with my breath. Thanks for the input.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I grew up and lived on the Big Island of Hawaii from 1946 to 1981. Where the temps ranged from the mid 40s to 96 degrees. The humidity ranges around 75 to 100%. Never had a problem with primers or powder. I even had a can of DUPONT BP that I found with the can rusted thru and spilling powder that still went bang. The real problem with high humidity and temps is just working in them not the powder or the primers.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “Turret”