Went gun shopping Saturday, generally disappointed.

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Went gun shopping Saturday, generally disappointed.

Post by DaveInGA »

Recently, I've been talking here about buying a couple new center fire rifles. I've been particularly interested in 6.5 X 55 Swede, .22 Hornet, 7.62 X 39 and .223/5.56. Online, the only rifles that did anything for me visually were the blued steel/walnut guns with a few of the laminate stocks looking nice.

I decided it was time to get out of the house and go to a few gunshops, sporting good stores and the like to see what these newer, lower cost plastic stocked rifles had to offer besides accuracy. So off the wife and I went, to eat out, travel around, talk a lot and look at guns/shop. We had a meal at the China Buffet in Athens, then hit the gun counter at the Academy Sports next door.

First up: Academy sports
Guns looked at: Mossberg MVP 18.5" barrel .223/5.56 w/AR magazine, Laminate stock - Stock was nice, both in look & feel, barrel length was good for short/intermediate range, I immediately noticed two things about the magazine: 1. Hard to seat 2. Required a modified bolt with a lip hanging down to pick up the round. This hanging down lip made the bolt rough as three cobbs to operate. While I could expect it could smooth up with tuning procedures/wear/use, from where it's starting I doubt I'd ever like the operation of the bolt. I also could not see a real use for that magazine in that gun, even as a situation urban police sniper. You just wouldn't need the capacity of the AR magazines and the AR magazine would limit how far out you could seat your bullet when handloading. If the rifle had a standard rifle magazine, even a blind magazine in the handy MVP size, I would have bought it on the spot.

Savage Axis with plastic stock, no Accu Trigger - Classic Savage, except cheapened down. Magazine was platsic mostly and had a "gonna eventually break on you" U-shaped magazine latch made out of plastic. Stock was definitely floppy tupperware and it would take enough time/money stiffening it I would just buy a laminate stock. Action was good, bolt was good and you can buy a used take off Axis trigger for $25 bucks plus shipping. So if the accuracy is good, you take a $278.00 (current price) rifle, add a hundred dollar boyds stock, fit it and add the Axis Trigger and you're golden. Let's see, we'are about $403.00 not including shipping on that stock and you're still stuck with the junk magazine unless someone figures out how to replace that fine item. Hmmm, it's a shame they don't offer a rifle with the package I described or maybe nobody carries it. Right now, poor young men are buying these things to hunt with and their time is cheap, their energy is high, so it's what they can afford. Me, I'm willing to spend more to get something I don't have to mess with so much to get it to where I want it to be.

At that point,the counter man, who prefers wood and steel to the plastic guns, admitted to me he had nothing behind the counter that I would like and said he thought the CZ's were the best deal going for a man who wants a rifle he can be proud of and not just shoot.

Headed out to the LGS over in Winterville, Georgia

Looked at one rifle, the Ruger American in .223 - Very much like the Mossberg, except plastic stock (both of these were Savage action clones, executed slightly differently, both had a copy of the Savage Accutrigger as well and both ran right at $400.00) The Ruger had a plastic stock that was better executed than the Savage and a box magazine better executed than the Savage, with a spring/hinge pin. This plastic latch is going to last a good long time and magazines are going to be inexpensive relatively speaking. If this rifle had a laminate stock like the Mossberg, it would have went home with me. Alas, again, no dice. I'll have to wait.

Left there and headed down to Bass Pro shops to pick up a Browning Buckmark .22 pistol slab side in stainless with URX grips. Looked at their rifles, same result, same admission by the clerk, who again, was a blued steel/wood kinda guy. Again, he said go with the CZ.

So here's what I'm going to do:

1. Order a CZ 527 American in .22 Hornet and have it reamed to .22 K Hornet and be happy. I may bed it as necessary if the walnut stock needs a little help or open up the barrel channel a bit. I may tune the trigger and polish lap the bolt to smooth it up to suit me. But it's a Mauser with the old controlled feed and I'm going to like it, a lot.

2. Order a CZ 557 Carbine in 6.5 X 55 Swede. This gun is not a Mauser, but is closer to a Sako action (The good Sako, the very smooth one) and can be easily smoothed to any level I wish using a bit of lapping compound. I'd prefer a Mauser action, but they only offer their CZ 550 in a full stock Mannlicher style. If they had it in the Carbine version with the 557 stock, I'd be all over it. The 557 also has a very nice fiber optic front sight for the iron sights. Looks like a professional's hunting rifle and I love those. Wish my shoulder were younger, I'd get it in .308 or perhaps the 550 in .308. I think they have a carbine version of the 550 in .308.

I've decided to hold off on the 7.63 X 39MM and .223/5.56 bolt actions for now. I would like them, but they're not on the "gotta have" list and I may fine something else I want by then. +guns
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Went gun shopping Saturday, generally disappointed.

Post by Poppop »

Hi Dave-
Looks like your feeling good.
As far as guns go at least your stores have some inventory.
Up here in PA the shelves are empty-seems like every one bought one for each of their family members for Christmas. Give it some time and the rifle you are looking for will be available.
Good Luck
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good deal. Sounds like things are coming together!
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

It's funny just this morning a patron of another forum was lamenting the loss of the fancy scrolled ,in layed etc stocked rifles . His thoughts are that the wood stock is on its way out all together.

It is pretty boring to see a rack in just 3 or 4 fixed colors without the subtle brown/red/gold/blond hues where a swirl ,knot or just the flow of the grain might make you choose 1 rifle over the identical 1 next to it . The almost unmeasurable difference in the curve or girth of a stock at the wrist. It's all of those little imperfections not only in the wood but in the hand finished deep blued rifle that give it ,for lack of a better word, soul. It's why the 50 yo picks up the weather master M700 SS and feels it all out but takes the white line classic BDL home instead.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

RBHarter wrote:The almost unmeasurable difference in the curve or girth of a stock at the wrist. It's all of those little imperfections not only in the wood but in the hand finished deep blued rifle that give it ,for lack of a better word, soul. It's why the 50 yo picks up the weather master M700 SS and feels it all out but takes the white line classic BDL home instead.
RB, I couldn't have said it better myself. Here in Georgia, they have a online forum called the Outdoor Trader and you see a ton of those soulless plastic stocked "modern" guns traded back and forth by the younger men. They buy them, shoot them a couple of times and they're done with them. Nothing like my first experiences I had with the first two shot guns my Father bought for me: An H&R single shot .410 youth model with beach stock and a Sears Ted Williams (Winchester 130/140?) 20 gauge.

My son now has the Sears 20 gauge, but I still have the .410, with it's very, very worn finish on the buttstock, dinged up barrel from going over fences and the rusty area where my hand was placed when I shot it on the receiver. I could refinish the stock and while I don't have the equipment to re-do the heat treatment of the receiver to bring out it's original multi-colors, I could dura/cera-cote it a nice deep black and re-blue the barrel, put a new buttpad on it. But I simply can't. Because every time I pick it up and put it to my shoulder, I can hear my noisy brother wiggling around 25 yards to the left in the cornfield and the wind as it blew through the stalks along with the unique noise a dove wing's make as they're landing or accelerating away if you missed. (My brother, with his 12 gauge pump, missed a lot, I seldom missed with my single shot. You all know why.) I'm afraid if I refinish it, those sounds and memories will somehow vanish. Silly old man, that's me.

It is too short for me now to hunt with and I should give it to one of my Grandsons. Just gotta wait until one's big enough....
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

No, don't even think about doing such a cruel thing.

The stock is not worn, it has lived. The barrel isn't beaten up, it has memories. And the receiver isn't rusty, it bears your marks.

Be happy that such things are possible where you live. I wouldn't care about refinishing any of my guns, since none of them bears any memories. I got my first gun at the age of 30, never went shooting in the fields with my brother or dad, never got a gun by my dad or grampa, and I won't pass my guns to a next generation. Simply because it's nearly impossible over here of flat out prohibited. A gun over here can never become a sentimental piece of personal history as your little .410 is. Value that, keep the memory. You're still free to do that.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

Fyodor wrote:No, don't even think about doing such a cruel thing.

The stock is not worn, it has lived. The barrel isn't beaten up, it has memories. And the receiver isn't rusty, it bears your marks.

Be happy that such things are possible where you live. I wouldn't care about refinishing any of my guns, since none of them bears any memories. I got my first gun at the age of 30, never went shooting in the fields with my brother or dad, never got a gun by my dad or grampa, and I won't pass my guns to a next generation. Simply because it's nearly impossible over here of flat out prohibited. A gun over here can never become a sentimental piece of personal history as your little .410 is. Value that, keep the memory. You're still free to do that.
Thank you for the excellent advice. Reading that advice is a hard core reminder of how we should respect our Constitution and especially defend the Second Amendment to our Constitution, so that we can retain these rights.

Return to “Topic Bucket”