Open forum for rifles.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Mauser M03 Trail Rifle

Post by Ranch Dog »

mauser_m03_trail_rifle.jpg
For some reason the Mauser M03 Trail Rifle is calling to me for my South Texas hunting. Pondered it a bit, chambered in 308 Win but the $4100 price tag cools you pretty quick!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Mauser M03 Trail Rifle

Post by DaveInGA »

I see what's drawing you in, it's that short handy carbine length of the barrel. I like that too as well as iron sights. That stock, on the other hand, is well.....you know.:)

Here's my thoughts:

1. It's a Mauser rifle built by Mauser with Mauser on the stock, but is it controlled feed?
2. During WWII and after, who really made the best Mausers actions? Many think it was CZ.
3. Those sights are three dot sights. Many like them, but I've found three in the same color tend to "swim" on me. I prefer a black rear with a fiber optic green front sight. That is a highly personal thing, but you might want to think on it before you buy.
4. I very much like the protected recessed crown, but that's something Tim over in Arkansas or any other smith with a lathe can do fairly easily. The plastic doo dad in the barrel, you'll likely forget and shoot a hole in first hunt. That's what I did to a similar product.
5. Having used a sling a lot to help stabilize my hold at longer ranges, I do not like that sling swivel on the barrel. If you use it, you'll pull the barrel to the side if you tighten up the sling hold. If you don't, it'll rattle. "dink dink" as the swivel hits the barrel.
6. The swivel attachment on the stock is in an oddball position, like it was more intended for a bipod, not a sling. To me, it's useless in the brush, but that's me. I don't know where you'll be using it.
7. The side swivel never, ever carries good on a rifle to me and would get in the way of a saddle scabbard. 8. That black and orange stock had to have been designed by a man who has absolutely no clue about hunting. That is uglier than my son's American Bulldog and the other dogs still won't play with him even with a pork chop around his neck. :oops:

In the options, there's several things I like:
1. The fluted barrel reduces weight a little bit, increases cooling if you're firing a lot at varmints.
2. I like the kick stop recoil reduce for an older man's shoulder that's getting arthritis in it.
3. The Trail comes in 18.5 and 20 inch barrels, like you, the shorter one would be the one I'd want for most hunting I'd do.
4. Not sure about the Mag-safe, could be handy, but I've never had a problem with a class Mauser 98 floor plate.
5. If you can get that rifle in a wood stock, it'd be a beauty.

All things the above said, that's a heckuva lot of money when you can get a CZ 550 in that caliber, in a carbine length and in a walnut stock and maybe with a fiber optic front sight for less than a grand. And it will have controlled feed, an excellent magazine, a beautiful wood stock, a fairly short barrel and be all you want it to be or can easily be made to be with a good smith. For a lot cheaper than that price, wheweee.

But put it in a wood stock, get rid of the goofy sling swivels and made the sight fiber optic front only, black rear and I wants it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

I think the orange inserts in the stock are a European thing, the type of dog or drive hunting that takes place there. The orange laminate Pedersoli BoarBuster is the same. The M03 Trail Rifle is set up this way but the M03 is available with just about anything you can think of other than cheap. I was looking at high end rifles (because I was bored) and the Mausers fit that.

Personally, I get the sling setup on the muzzle and like it. I never end up slinging a rifle other than my saddle ring leverguns because you cannot move through the brush with the barrel above the top of your head. As you lean down to go under limbs or vines, the stuff gets caught against your back/shoulder and up against the barrel. I totally get it.
Michael
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

Michael,

Sounds like you're hunting thick brush, very short range where change of point of impact due to barrel movement is going to be negligible. I think you're right about the orange, just their first take out the door. Perhaps they'll go to a black stock for the US versions in the future.

I find it interesting you're looking at the higher end guns. Sound like you're starting to do with your guns what I'm doing with mine: Selling off my lower dollar guns and picking up fewer, but more satisfying higher end guns in their place. If I sell of three or four cheap milsurps, I have enough for two good quality hunting guns. But for me, stingy self that I am, the CZ's fall into the price range I'm willing to pay. Though if I had a bit more income, I'd probably just go strictly custom, built on the action I preferred: A modern made pre-64 action with a premium after market barrel cut to the needs of the shooting I'm doing.

I'm thinking for 4k, you could probably get a pretty good custom gun, but I may be way off base in my dollars. It's been a while.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Just bored and looking around. I think I'm good with what I have for now.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Ranch Dog wrote:Just bored and looking around. I think I'm good with what I have for now.
I think we have all done that before. :lol:
Je suis Charlie
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I could get 20 guns for $4K and be happy if I took my time selecting.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I have a custom custom wildcat, a tricked out FN 98 mag , a new old stock 98 in a custom old school style and a late model 92' that might sell for that much all together. ....... I just can't fathom spending that much on ............ a gun. I'd be scared to ding it getting from the box to the safe . I think I like mine pre dinged and from the cheap seats. .....
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

400.00 seams to be the most I want to pay so I look for the deals and used don't bother me either.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It makes me wonder just how many they could sell. I'd buy a Savage Hog Hunter instead of it.
Michael

Return to “Rifle Discussions”