No Load Master love here?

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

No Load Master love here?

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I've thought of trying one for some time now and when money comes available for one I plan on buying one for bulk .38 special and maybe a few others.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: No Load Master love here?

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've got three of them!
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Ranch Dog wrote:I've got three of them!
I take it you don't swap out dies on them then? Any tips or tricks with them? Pics?

I run all my .45 ACP on a Hornady LNL AP and while I like it just fine I think I would like another press setup just for small primer cases.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I take it you don't swap out dies on them then? Any tips or tricks with them? Pics?
Yes, I have them dedicated to specific cartridges because I did not like spending the fine tuning time with the cartridge change. I used loadmastervideos.com to help with any setup issues I encountered but the have remainded relative easy to operate. I consider them a production press and do not do any load development on them. You go to changing things and it gets hard to keep up with in that you have five cartridges working at once.

I've been loading all my 380 Auto (PT138 Pro not 738), 9mm Luger, and 45 ACP. In fact, in that I mentioned the one handgun, the other two are setup for specific firearms as well as I hate changing anything. Those would be my PT111 Pro and PT745 Pro. I'm probably going to switch the 380 Auto press over to 32 ACP, actually have started that, in that my wife is shooting so much of that ammo.

Honestly... if you are not loading 200 to 500 rounds at a time, or if you are switching cartridges, or changing the small stuff for a given cartridge across different firearms there is no doubt in my mind that the Lee Turret is faster.

I use the case collator but not the bullet feeder because of the lube on the bullets (they are too sticky). It is just a matter of keep cases, primers, & powder in it. It sure goofs things up if you run out! I do know some fellows that will keep together every few weeks and use one to crank out 2000 to 3000 9mm Luger cartridges on a Saturday morning!
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I know the Pro Auto works great on the Classic Turret but how well does it work being held still on a Load Master? I always feel like the rotation of the turret is part of the reason it stays so consistent drop to drop.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I know the Pro Auto works great on the Classic Turret but how well does it work being held still on a Load Master? I always feel like the rotation of the turret is part of the reason it stays so consistent drop to drop.
I'm not sure how the load master works but if anything like the Pro 1000 then it has a return chain setup instead of the spring return. The Pro 1000 also has one of the supports that when the shell plate moves it causes a vibration that helps with the powder system. I hope that is understandable.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I know the Pro Auto works great on the Classic Turret but how well does it work being held still on a Load Master? I always feel like the rotation of the turret is part of the reason it stays so consistent drop to drop.
Along the lines that Joe noted there is enough vibration across the press that it delivers a very consistent powder charge through the Auto Disk

I just went to Lee's web site to look up a part I might need, all this talk of the LM caused me to remember and they have an excellent recommendation on whether your use justifies the Load-Master or not.

Select a Load-Master Progressive Press if you are shooting more than 500 rounds a week. Change over from cartridge to cartridge can be involved. If you are loading limited quantities of many different cartridges a Turret Press is your best choice.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

If I do buy one it would be strictly for bulk loading. I love shooting .38 special and if I do buy that M92 in the same caliber then I will want even more bulk ammo!!! +guns (need a lever action smiley guy...)
Fullthrottle
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Fullthrottle »

I use the Pro Auto on my single stage Challenger, and it stays very consistent. Matter of fact last weekend I loaded some .38spcl and had the adjustable charge bar set for 5.4gns on Accurate 5. I toss every 5th-10th load of powder onto my scale, low and behold....most all were 5.4gns and a couple were 5.3gns. Never one of them over. I say the Pro Auto is a very reliable powder feed, giving the fact that you like it on your turret (movement suggested) and my luck in my single stage.

Hope that helps you some in your thoughts for using it on the Loadmaster.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Not a Loadmaster but I just tried it for the first time on my LNL AP and don't tell the other team red but I like the Pro Auto better than the Hornady powder measure... :?

And you aren't kidding, it was very accurate the whole time through. And no risk of the measure working loose and increasing the powder charge on me.

Return to “Progressive”