A Good Cigar and Bourbon.

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

A Good Cigar and Bourbon.

Post by daboone »

I don't work often anymore. Today do to a severe shortage at a hospital I've worked for called me and asked if I'd be willing to fill in. I'm a 99% retired cardiovascular perfusionist/respiratory therapist. It was a 12 hour day as a respiratory therapist today.

A patient from South America who owns a tobacco cigar farm gave me a cigar. (Please don't remind me that as a respiratory therapist I shouldn't smoke.) After a 12 hour day on my old aching feet I came home and walked my dog (mandatory) then poured a glass of Bullet Bourbon and lit this cigar. WOW what a way to end a brutal day. The feet, ankles and hips were renewed and I feet good about still being able to HACK it. I won't say smoking is a good thing but dang it sure supplemented a great bourbon and was extraordinarily enjoyable. I will add a check mark on my bucket list even though I didn't know it was on my bucket list. ;)
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: A Good Cigar and Bourbon.

Post by DaveInGA »

Sounds like a good end to a long day to me. I worked in the hospital as an RT until my elderly Father came to live with me. Once he passed, I had degenerative Arthritis of the lower spine and can't stand on my feet very long any more.

I really miss the excitement of the ER and dealing with noodle babies in the small hospital where I worked. I don't miss the 12 hour shifts and the occasional multi code blue nights/days.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

I haven't had a cigar in about 3 years. I still have a bunch of good ones in the humidor. I only have them when I have time to sit and enjoy them with some good single malt. I need to put aside some time for that soon.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I tried to quit smoking but it was such hassle to get started I gave up.

I ran ambulance for 10 yr as a volunteer fire fighter ,an interesting comradery forms . It's hard on them when they respond to a known address or vehicle.

I can't count the times that a stiff drink dulled the revisits of some of the days. We called it retox.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

Nice! Nothing like a good cigar and a GREAT bourbon after a day like that! And you just never know who you will meet and the good, unexpected things that may come out of it!
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

Sounds like a really good end to an exhausting day.

Even if I don't smoke, I do know the recreational value of a good whiskey. I prefer Scotch, from the isle of Islay. The more smokey, earthy ones. My favourite is Bowmore 12yo.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 357cyrus »

+1 Well shoot Daboone, I'm gonna have to toast ya, cause I just sat down with a double of Gentleman Jack and some deer jerky to end my day and check the forum! Glad to see yr livin the good life too!
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Islay Scotch is a very fine whiskey. I have some for very special occasions. But small batch bourbon are really fine for sipping and make every sip a special occasion.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Ahhh, Daniel, you've found a true "Boone" to mankind. ;) Bullet Bourbon has become my favorite. Used to be Crown Supreme, then went to Pendleton, but BB has them both beat to my taste buds anyway. About 4 fingers over ice will smooth out the "bumps" of most any day. It's a bit expensive but as I don't drink much it just becomes one of "life's small plreasures". As for cigars, I'm not much of an aficionado by any means but I buy and like these Cuban Delights, light, mild, with a sweet wrapper.

I have a deep appreciation for folks in the medical profession, past and present, who devoted their life's to helping others. :t
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

[quote="Horseman"], I'm not much of an aficionado by any means/quote]

I'm an aficionado of cussing (zazzle frazzle mesilsmitzh) and just being ornery old grandpa. ;) Bullet Bourbon is a fine small batch bourbon, swirled with a couple of ice cubes. As far as cigars go I know nada but puffing on one occasionally and looking like I do is more my speed, Just blowing smoke is something I'm good at. hehehe

Return to “Topic Bucket”