TulAmmo Primers

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

TulAmmo Primers

Post by Steve »

I prime off press. Because of this I can see differences in some of the primer brands.

The tool I use for the bulk of the priming is a RCBS bench primer. (I really like this thing) It uses a primer tube for feed.

When I started on a 5,000 count lot of TulAmmo small primers I started having primers turning sideways in the tube! Other brands I have used with no problems are CCI, Rem, Win.

I found the problem to be the radius of the base of the TulAmmo primer. This radius is large enough to reduce the length of the side wall of the primer and the flat bottom just enough to allow it to turn while inside the priming tube when it is moving. Once again the other brands have not done this.

To put a band aid on the problem until I get these used up I insert a 1/8 inch dowel rod to follow the primers through the tube. (The TulAmmo primers do perform well in all my loads, too bad I won't be getting any more of them.)

The purpose of this post is :
If you are fighting a priming problem on your press or other style priming tool and you are using TulAmmo primers, your problem may be cured by just getting another brand of primer.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: TulAmmo Primers

Post by RBHarter »

Steve I've seen this complaint before . It was a couple yr ago and seems like it was all but verbatim. I was never able to locate them on the shelf ,but this is a good reminder for folks using feeders and/or hand priming.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thought I would try catching the difference of the TulAmmo primer vs Federal primer.

I did not have a single std small pistol primer left other than a few thousand more TulAmmo so I took the picture next to a Federal small rifle primer, the top of it looks the same as the Federal pistol primers.

TulAmmo primer is on your right side. You can clearly see the greater radius and the smaller flat area on the top of the TulAmmo primer. After the TulAmmo primer is seated it has a larger flat that looks identical to all the brands I use. (I would guess it's a little softer than most, just my opinion)

This larger radius when loading would probably make it less reliable in any primer feed system.
TulAmmoPrimerOnRight.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Great example pic.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

I'd give them a try if I ever found them for a good deal. As of now I buy almost anything I can when I can when in stock.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steve

Post by Steve »

I could see these TulAmmo primers being a real problem with a Loadmaster primer feed.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

They will also turn upside down in the RCBS hand priming tool. If you watch, you can flip them back just before they are seated.
Steve

Post by Steve »

farmerjim wrote:They will also turn upside down in the RCBS hand priming tool. If you watch, you can flip them back just before they are seated.
I have a RCBS hand primer with the automatic jaw. Primed a lot with it before getting the Bench model. Great tool. I haven't tried the TulAmmo primers in it, all others work well, large and small.

Because I don't use a lot of large primers (500 a year) I just use the RCBS hand primer for large and the bench primer for small.

Edit: I will say that TulAmmo primers are still a lot better than none, and if I find a real bargain price I will buy more.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

Mine is the one that needs a shellholder. I find it faster than the bench prime because of the time to fill the tube. Because of the stories of exploding primers ( never had one, but have totally crushed many) I now wear a leather glove on my right hand when priming. I got a good deal on the tula primers so I bought a bunch of them. As you said, they work fine, so I will just put up with having to turn a few before seating. Thanks for the picture, I never noticed how they had that rounded bevel.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Was going to buy some from Powder Vally but the Wife wanted to go to Cabela's so found S&B primers there 20 vs 25 at P.V. But a limited selection so only bought rifle primers and Federal pistol primers.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Topic Bucket”