What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by klr »

Dang, Coop, that 375 Ruger looks like it would deal out some punishment on both ends. :)

RD - I know what you mean about too many rifles. I think my "problem" is that I like to fix stuff and problem solve more that I can shoot. Once I get a rifle/ammo combo tuned up to my satisfaction I put it away and work on the next project. That's the reason I bought a Mini-14; I had one decades ago that was horribly inaccurate but heard that the new ones were better and responded well to some tinkering. So I had to get one and see for myself - even though I don't need one. :roll:

In the meantime, my Howa Mini sits in pieces waiting for me to slim and bed the stock and then work up a good coyote load...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeap, that sums my endevour up real well!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Dang, I was putting together a MidwayUSA order and the Woodleigh #68s for the 303 British are already out of stock.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

It wasn't me. :lol:
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Ranch Dog wrote:Dang, I was putting together a MidwayUSA order and the Woodleigh #68s for the 303 British are already out of stock.
RD try this site as I've gotten lots of brass just for the cost of shipping. The way it works is they have what I need and I have what they need, we strike a deal and each pays shipping.

http://ammobrasstrader.gunloads.com/for ... ass-Trader

With 303 it can take some time to find what you want 45 acp 9mm and 40 s&w all day long.
Je suis Charlie
Coop 45
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Coop 45 »

Just to put it into perspective for recoil,

223 with 55 gn load = 3.2 foot pounds of recoil energy
308 with 150's = 15.8
375 ruger with 270's = 41.3

Of the bench it is unpleasant, but off hand I find it just plain fun. It does help that I'm 6'4".
Salvo

Post by Salvo »

The only rifle cartridge that I am loading these days is .223, for a target/varmint bolt rifle that I have put together from an older, 1:12 twist Howa HB.

I sold my big game rifle last year and have yet to replace it, so the .223 is the only centerfire rifle that I currently own.

A big proponent of reduced loads, I have stocked up on AA5744 and Hornady 55 grn FMJ bullets and am searching for the sweet spot where the rifle shoots them best. I am preparing loads for a ladder test.

The Speer book shows reduced loads for 55 grain projectiles at either 11 or 12 grains of AA5744. The AA book shows loads up to and beyond 18 grains. - I'll try testing 11-18 grains, one load of each and see what the ladder test shows.

My son and I love target shooting, I am hoping that the Howa will work out for this. If we can't get it to shoot five rounds into 1/2" at 100 yards with the reduced loads, then we'll probably start thinking about another rifle.
Kind regards,
Salvo
9x80Drilling
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by 9x80Drilling »

The last few days I've been assembling .357 mag loads for a friend who recently got a Marlin 336C. He wants to use 158 XTP FPs for deer and antelope, so I've made a ladder array with LilGun.
I've added to my stash of hunting loads for my Rossi SS 92.
And, I've been trying to solve some funky accuracy issues that occur at times with my old hammer drilling in 9 x 80 Rmm. This last is a straight case, actually slow taper, non bottlenecked round from 1800s that grew out of the 9 x 72 Rmm during blackpowder days. I load .358 Speer 180 gr flat points and .358 Nosler .225 Partitions for this rifle at velocities very similar to .35 Remington velocities.
I collet neck size with a Lee .375 H&H die. I've turned the mandrel down to .3525 to get sufficient neck tension.
Here's my understanding of my accuracy variability. Neck tension is still not uniform from round to round. I'd like to collet crimp as a final step. It seems to me that I could use any one of the few .35 caliber FCDs. I'd have to develop a spacer of the correct thickness to rest above the shell holder for the crimping process to work, as the 9 x 80 shell is so much longer than cartridges that Lees builds FCDs for, such as .35 Rem. .35 Whelen, even .357 Mag.
Would anyone with experience or ideas of similar crimping operations care to offer suggestions?
Thanks so much.
Roger
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Might see if Lee would make a die for you, but don't see why another 35 caliber die with appropriate space wouldn't work unless the presence of the shoulder on the other rifle cases would some how interfere. i know they don't work of the shoulder, but I've not paid enough attention to the few I have to know what the inside shape it. (Note to self take a look)

make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
9x80Drilling
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by 9x80Drilling »

Thanks O3W for your reply. I'll try one of the above and see what I get.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”