Newbie: Classic Turret Press Up & Running, but

All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
Deleted User 1445

Newbie: Classic Turret Press Up & Running, but

Post by Deleted User 1445 »

Everything works! The only issue I'm having is the alignment of the shell plate to the decapping die. It's a little off, requiring me to push the top of the 9mm case a bit to get it to go in. I called Lee, their reply was to rotate the shell plate. I've done this, the best location seems to be with the ramp aiming squarely at the nearest post. I also enquired about loosening the 3 top bolts and trying to nudge to top slightly -- Lee said that won't do much. What's the Fix for this?
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Newbie: Classic Turret Press Up & Running, but

Post by daboone »

A LCT doesn't have a shell plate. It uses shell holders. I think your speaking of the turret in which the dies screwed into. The adjustment for the LCT is the indexing rod the the nut at the end. Just very minor loosening or tightening of that rod/nut will sync the rotation.

In another situation I had this problem with M1 Carbine cases needing some wiggle to fit into the sizer on the LCT. The solution in this case with the shell holder. I tried both the Lee 7 and 7B, the Lymans #19 and RCBS #17. The RCBS shellholder cured the problem.
Last edited by daboone on 21 Apr 2016 03:33, edited 1 time in total.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Greetings and welcome to the forum. At the end of the Classic Turret instructions are the turret indexing (alignment) procedure but if you have issues pointing at the shellholder be sure the ram is aligned as well (should be done anytime the turret indexing is done). It is kind of hidden with the instructions on how to snap a shellholder into position. I always thought that odd as it is very important.
LCTP_ram_alignment.jpg
There is a post within a topic here on indexing the turret that I like and always meant to bookmark for others that ask. It dealt with the turrets small jump or jerk at the end of the ram stroke and how to correct it. More to the point it was how to anticipate it in the adjustment, you are not going to get rid of it. I think it was by Horseman but I must be wrong as I cannot find it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Found it! It was DaveInGa's post, thanks Dave! This link should take you right to the post, I highlighted what I thought was super important with the turret indexing. I load a lot of small cases; 25 & 32 Auto and this is real important for them to be aligned.

Classic turret kit for a n00b
Michael
Deleted User 1445

daboone wrote:A LCT doesn't have a shell plate. It uses shell holders. I think your speaking of the turret in which the dies screwed into. The adjustment for the LCT is the indexing rod the the nut at the end. Just very minor loosening or tightening of that rod/nut with sync the rotation.

In another situation I had this problem with M1 Carbine cases needing some wiggle to fit into the sizer on the LCT. The solution in this case with the shell holder. I tried both the Lee 7 and 7B, the Lymans #19 and RCBS #17. The RCBS shellholder cured the problem.
I mis-spoke -- I meant to say the shell holder that comes with the die set.
Deleted User 1445

Ranch Dog wrote:Greetings and welcome to the forum. At the end of the Classic Turret instructions are the turret indexing (alignment) procedure but if you have issues pointing at the shellholder be sure the ram is aligned as well (should be done anytime the turret indexing is done). It is kind of hidden with the instructions on how to snap a shellholder into position. I always thought that odd as it is very important.
LCTP_ram_alignment.jpg
There is a post within a topic here on indexing the turret that I like and always meant to bookmark for others that ask. It dealt with the turrets small jump or jerk at the end of the ram stroke and how to correct it. More to the point it was how to anticipate it in the adjustment, you are not going to get rid of it. I think it was by Horseman but I must be wrong as I cannot find it.
Let me be ever so clear: the problem that I am having is NOT indexing. The problem is the alignment of the dies in the turret with the ram/shellholder. The misalignment seems to be front-to-back, NOT a rotational misalignment. Someone needs to hit me over the head with the answer -- I'm not yet picking up a solution.

Also: When I rotate the shellholder for the easiest entry into the dies, then the primer seating seems to require more force.

BTW: My Priming attachment is working perfectly. Also the Autodisk Powder measure is extremely repeatable -- I'm using the Lee Balance/Scale to check the weight.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have to guide the brass into the die on all calibers on all three of my presses, more so on the LCT.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Try loosening the top three bolts on top of the press. Run a case up into the sizing die. Then re tighten the bolts. See if this may fix the issue. Oh, welcome to the forum from me also.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

Herzlich willkommen from Germany, too!

I also have a classic turret, that I use mainly for depriming. But I also did resize with it, and only a few times I had to correct the alignment of the case to the die, by just touching it with my finger. It never needed force to do so, only a little touch.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Poppop »

Fyodor wrote:Herzlich willkommen from Germany, too!

I also have a classic turret, that I use mainly for depriming. But I also did resize with it, and only a few times I had to correct the alignment of the case to the die, by just touching it with my finger. It never needed force to do so, only a little touch.
+1
The same happens to me too when decapping 9mm. A little push of the cart. further into the shell holder does it.
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA

Return to “Turret”