Lee 2017 Wish List

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Lee 2017 Wish List

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote:
klr wrote:I'd like them to develop a fix for the alignment pins working loose in their two-cavity molds.
They should use allen set screws.
Yep! :t
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

As every year, I'd really appreciate the press mounted bullet puller they advertised some years ago. Unfortunately it was dropped, and nobody was willing to tell me any details about it. I'm in great need for a bullet puller that can pull lead bullets without the noise of a kinetic puller.

And they should rework the primer trays. The new ones are sh**. Yes it is nice to easily unload Federal primer trays into the feeding system, but they just don't work right, collide with the bullet feeder on the classic turret/pro1000 presses and have a foil joint, which will break at some point.

A reproduction of the pan lube sets also would be nice.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Fyodor wrote:As every year, I'd really appreciate the press mounted bullet puller they advertised some years ago. Unfortunately it was dropped, and nobody was willing to tell me any details about it. I'm in great need for a bullet puller that can pull lead bullets without the noise of a kinetic puller.
Have you looked at the RCBS tools?
Fyodor wrote:A reproduction of the pan lube sets also would be nice.
Agreed! I would also be nice if they offered a sizing die for every bullet diameter that they offer a mold for.
Michael
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Ranch Dog wrote: Have you looked at the RCBS tools?
I actually bought one recently. I haven't tried it yet, but experience by other users shows it isn't reliable with lead bullets. It was very cheap (dust collector in my local dealer's shelf), so I wanted to give it a try. It still needs an additional manual operation, which the LEE one didn't, I guess it was case activated.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I have the Hornady Cam-Lock Bullet Puller which requires expensive collets for each caliber. They are not cast bullet friendly. :cry: So for 99% of my bullet pulling I do use a whack-a-mole, the Quinetics bullet puller. It is superior to all of the others, RCBS, Lymans, etc. The Quinetics collet is unique in that it is split. One collet fits most calibers, .22 Hornet through .45-70. Because of this the hammer's cap does not need to be removed but simply loosened to insert or remove the cartridge or it component once the whack has done it's job. The Quinetics collet fits both my RCBS and Lymans hammers. (why I have a collection of kinetic bullet pullers, er, well, I don't know, they just accumulate. :? ) I use a round muffin molded lead ingot to whack the hammer on. Still make a serious thudding noise however. I know you know this but it necessary to insert a foam ear plug into the hammer to soften the blow to the bullet upon separation from the case. When doing several separations this Quinetics collet certainly speeds things along by not removing the cap each and everytime.

Sorry I digressed from topic.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I have the Quinetics and without a doubt it is the easiest to use. I found out that it doesn't work with the 25 Auto, the split shell holder cannot grab it, so I just use the shell holder from the press.

Never heard of the ear plug cushion, thank you for adding that!

It will crack a floor tile if the bullet has enough neck tension.

I would also agree that the RCBS pullers are not cast bullet friendly. I have the NOE Bullet Gripper that is a great tool but the expensive RCBS collets don't like short bullet noses. I wanted the tool to help hold the bullets while installing checks or beveling the base of a plain base bullet.
BulletGripper1.jpg
I bought 22 & 25 collets for my bullet designs and the RCBS collets cannot grab them. Same with the 9.3 mm that I bought for my Makarov bullet. Bummer, $36 down the %@*&$.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I've got the NOE Gas Check seating die and I do like that. I make my own GCs with the Charlie's FreeChex II and III and so that die does come in handy.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I had about 300 screwed up 40 S&W that needed pulled. After I broke my last plastic hammer for pulling, I vowed to never buy another and have stuck to it.

To pull those bullets lead bulletsI drilled a 1/8 inch hole through the end.

Put then in the shell holder of the single stage press, ran it up until the bullet stuck out the end of the press.

Put a 1/8" bit through the hole. (Seems like I fixed something else to push on at this point. Don't remember.)

Ran the ram down which pulled the bullet.

Reloaded them, fired the same bullets that had holes drilled through them. I thought they might whistle with the hole, they didn't, they shot well!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Dang, that seems like a lot of work!
Michael
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Maybe it's actually less work than hammering 300 rounds...

Return to “Topic Bucket”