Just got my Brand New Hand Press

Easy to use and store!
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Just got my Brand New Hand Press

Post by cj8281 »

It finally showed up in the mail. One of the breech lock ones. I found a couple of eBay sellers that were selling 4 packs of the locks for cheap so I picked up a few.
From reading others posts the first thing that I am going to do to it is dismantle it, clean it and lube it.
Question is What lube should I use?
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Just got my Brand New Hand Press

Post by daboone »

Lube questions will get as many different response as there reloaders. ;) Here's the best response I've ever read: "Unless you use this exact lubricant, made of purified fat from virgin baby seals, your gun and press will rust between shots and sizing and that’s if it doesn’t seize up on you first."

Everybody has an opinion. Here is mine. I use 30wt motor oil on the rams and a cheap lithium grease on the bearings on my presses. For the Hand Press I just use the 30wt. Several years ago I got a shelf full of advertized high end gun lubes and tried them all. Not one of them did anything better than what I'd been using since I started back in the fifties.

IMO it more important to clean and lube your press at regular intervals or when it starts looking dusty and long before it looks cruddy. Use whatever lube advertisement hype you like and pocket book allows just do it regularly. For me that 30wt motor oil and inexpensive lithium grease.

I think your going to LOVE that Lee Hand Press. I upgraded mine to the breech lock and glad I did.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
bayou
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by bayou »

I agree with Dan. The topic of lubrication is worn out. I also use motor oil for just about anything that doesn't require something different. And if something requires grease, I use plain old axle grease or fishing reel grease whichever is closest to my hand.

Enjoy that new press!

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

Yep the fellers above are right; lubing of reloading tools is much overrated. I'm a lifelong machinist/mechanic and have lubed with everything from hand applied black "pump grease" to ultra fine mineral oil for precision measuring tools. Motor oil is a pretty good "multi use" lube and will work on 99% of the needs of reloading tools. I've used 2 cycle motor oil as a "gun oil" replacement successfully and also used it on my bullet molds. I have bunches of lubes in my shop and often use automotive lubes for most of my slickin' up needs. Vaseline is a good light grease too and I've used it for my press rams. But a good idea for presses is to wipe the tool down after any depriming. Carbon dust and priming compound ash is abrasive and will wear out the ram/frame fit over time resulting in a sloppy press...

Using plain old shop practices when reloading is just good horse sense. Case prep is just basic metal working, nuttin magic. Priming is just basic assembly using hand operated tools and same with bullet seating; logical mechanical principles. Powder charging is just following written directions from a reloading manual; just drop the suggested amount of powder in the case and seal it up with a bullet...

Go slow, double check everything, and most important, have fun.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

FWIW ......
I have had several iron presses second hand . The manufacturers suggestions are no doubt to be found in the owners manual ........ I've had only 1 new press and I don't recall having read the manual ........
RCBS uses the same Lubriplate I used in aviation for the specified engine assy lube in their lab presses , Lubriplate white grease . It is available in most auto parts houses . For many yr all of mine on hand was cut about 50/50 with STP engine oil treatment. It has worked fine when I had reasonably clean spaces an large runs to do . Being in the desert with DG dust being part of breathing I run singer oil or 3-1 wet , cycle ,wipe and wet then run , wet and wipe when done .

As for case lube I've 3 bottles of RCBS 2 left of the 6 bottles I bought many yr ago , I think I'm on the 3-4 th stamp pad ...
The original RCBS case lube was STP , it passed for case lube , heavy forming lube and bullet swaging lube . Keep it off the bottom of the necks and shoulders and it's golden , don't and you get dents and creases depending on the extent of the form .

I'd venture more toward Imperial Sizing wax in the 21st century , alas I'm still in love with late 19th century rifles and cartridges ...... Sperm oil maybe :)
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

jojoba is said to be a good replacement for sperm oil and easier to find these days ;) .

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:jojoba is said to be a good replacement for sperm oil and easier to find these days ;)
Where did you find it? Is it expensive. I like to try some for patch lube on my flintlocks.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

Thanks for the replies, the what lube to use was more rhetorical, I plan on using vaseline. I haven't had a chance yet cause I am trying to get some honey-do's done while I am still off work.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

cj8281 wrote:Thanks for the replies, the what lube to use was more rhetorical, I plan on using vaseline.
Well you just learn that asking a question in order to produce an effect or to make a statement rather than to elicit information will still illicite a multitude of responses on this site! ;) We love to spout off and keyboard our genius and half baked opinions. :lol:

As I understand Vaseline it is a blend of mineral oils and waxes. That would probably be a very good lube choice for a press. I've used it for processing cast bullet lubes with success. It was a terrible choice as a black powder lube. As I recall it was to much of a mess for extracurricular activities. :P That reminds me of a limerick, but I get into trouble for posting it here. :twisted:

horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Is this a great country or what. We are free to choose and do pretty much whatever we want, within reason or course, (unless you're a progressive democrat, then reason doesn't apply :? ) I do not know about the Lee Hand Press as I've never had one but Lee USED to (maybe still does) just recommend 30wt motor oil to lube their presses. I've tried a lot of different commercial lubes on the rams of different brand presses and the best I've used for all of them was a light coating of plain oil. Nothing exotic, gun oil, any "spray" type oil (not WD 40) my personal favorite is a commercial brand squirt can of Dura Lube. Personally, I think Vaseline will be a bit "heavy" and sticky. Even STP, which everyone knows as a slippery, slippery, substance isn't that good a lube for a press ram. It is great for a lot of applications but a bit to "heavy" for the ram. Anything that requires "grease", ( ram pins on the LM for instance) I just use a Lithium grease. Anyway, just my opinions and experiences for what I like to use... +corn

Return to “Hand Presses”