Primer went off

The little red box that started it all!
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Primer went off

Post by cj8281 »

Well I have heard it happen to others and it happened to me. Was seating a primer in one of the 38 specials and the primer went off. Sounded like a cap gun going off. Not sure why it went off. A couple of the others seemed like they didn't want to seat but eventually they were coaxed in. I popped the primer out and looked, nothing out of the ordinary. I guess that is why they say not to try and re-seat a high primer after the powder is in and especially not to when a bullet is seated.
I still think these are very handy little kits and definitely not toys. I do wish there were more variety of scoops though. Guess I will have to fire up the little lathe and build a couple for my favorite Unique loads.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Primer went off

Post by Ranch Dog »

There you go, I've never had it happen but now I know of someone with first hand experience. You keeping the primer chamber oiled so the plate can flex against the spring?
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Was this a Lee Auto Prime?

I wish I has a lathe. I do it the old fashioned way. Just solder a piece of coat hanger wire onto a case cut/filed to the correct powder weight for intended load. I know you've done that too.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

BTDT!! Out of my 6 Lee Loaders the only one that occasionally popped primers was my .44 Magnum kit. I believe I had one go off in my .38 Special kit, but that is a one in a thousand thing. I remedied the .44 problem by chamfering the primer pocket just like I do for military brass. Not one pop since...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:Was this a Lee Auto Prime?
I think a Lee Loader or at least the topic was posted in this forum.
Michael
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

I hand prime - always have. and since started reloading mil brass, and occassionally not getting the crimp completely removed, I have crushed a couple of primers. But not yet set one off. And I DO wear safety glasses, AND try to remember not to leave my fingers over the case mouth as I seat the primer.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Sorry RD. Maybe someday I'll pay better attention to the header. :oops:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

No, the primer was set off on a Lee Loader priming base. The next primer went right in, 2 small taps and it was there. The plate in the chamber floats like it is supposed to, doesn't stick at all. I guess it might have just been me in a hurry (you know what they say about that ;-) ). Can't wait to go to the range to try this new batch out.

@ Daboone no, never actually used a coat hanger, paper clips were always my handle of choice. My little lathe is one that I bought from Harbor Freight oh about 12 or 13 years ago, it was on sale for $299. All of the stuff that I have made with it, if I had to buy all that I made with it in the first 2 years that I had it, I would have paid more than twice that. Kind of crazy what they are asking for them now, like $569.

In regards to the Lee Auto Prime, I have the original Lee Auto Prime and that thing is wonderful, don't know why they changed it at all. Actually just met someone that has broken the handle on one trying to prime a military .45 acp that he had forgotten to remove the crimp on. I don't believe that I have ever been close to breaking one. After looking at a newer Lee hand priming tool, I got on the evilBay and found another one that was lightly used and still in the box. So now I have a back up. My lid doesn't like to stay on, hence the use of a rubber band and all is good.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

cj8281 wrote:In regards to the Lee Auto Prime, I have the original Lee Auto Prime and that thing is wonderful, don't know why they changed it at all. Actually just met someone that has broken the handle on one trying to prime a military .45 acp that he had forgotten to remove the crimp on. I don't believe that I have ever been close to breaking one. After looking at a newer Lee hand priming tool, I got on the evilBay and found another one that was lightly used and still in the box. So now I have a back up. My lid doesn't like to stay on, hence the use of a rubber band and all is good.
Same here cj, I love the original Auto Prime!
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Glad your
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Return to “Lee Loader®”