First impressions of the Pro1000

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: First impressions of the Pro1000

Post by Fyodor »

Sideways primers can happen, when you use the wrong sized trough (marked "s" or "l" on the side). The trough should regularly be polished on the inside, a folded piece of normal copying paper is just fine for that. Don't overdo it, just wipe the inside a few times. Also the trough, primer tray and the carrier assembly need to be clean. I disassemble and clean mine after 1000 rounds maximum and keep everything covered when not in use to keep the dust out.

Most problems in priming com from dust and grime. This is very important, and if for some reason you spilled powder (double charge), you need to take the shellplate off and clean everything out. During reloading, I always keep a can of compressed air beside the press, and give the priming system a little blow once a while. then it works pretty smooth.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

The chutes are similar to the primer system on my LCT which experienced more than one "flipped in the chute" primer 10 days ago....and the large primer chute has never been out of the box. It can happen for sure. I'm going to do the paper trick while system is empty of primers.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
HankRearden

Post by HankRearden »

Thanks for the feedback. I looked closely at the primer feed and it is embossed small so I'm good there. I honestly think the biggest problem is the powder in the hole where the priming pin sits.
I looked last night and three pounds of blue dot,a pound of power pistol,a pound of accurate 7.
I'm firing this out of a 5 inch pistol and 16 inch carbine and 7.7 grains an 124 cast is an awesome load. I whacked my 600 lb boar at 50 yards when he escaped and became aggressive.
I'm looking through my books for a slightly less bulky powder that meters better yet still gives the velocity without ridiculous peak pressure.

I tore the press all apart and cleaned it out with brake cleaner and co2. Between work and farming I doubt I'll have time to try it again before the weekend.
But man I'm impressed, this press can really be fast if I get the primer feed working.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

HankRearden wrote:I honestly think the biggest problem is the powder in the hole where the priming pin sits.
Yes, everything that comes in contact with the primers needs to be perfectly clean. That is vital for smooth operation.
HankRearden wrote:But man I'm impressed, this press can really be fast if I get the primer feed working.
I was, too, so I got three of them now :D
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

You may want to try the Power Pistol. It's one of the "preferred" high performance powders for the 9mm, hard to beat. HS6 and BE86 are a couple other "top" performers. For a bit lighter "just shooting" rounds I've rediscovered a use for Bullseye with 115 and 124gr plated bullets.
HankRearden

Post by HankRearden »

Thanks. I'll look into the power pistol. I'll have to see if I can find any load data for it in a rifle.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

HankRearden wrote:Thanks. I'll look into the power pistol. I'll have to see if I can find any load data for it in a rifle.

Data will be the same. 9mm is 9mm....
HankRearden

Post by HankRearden »

You are correct. I worded that poorly. I'm more interested in velocity out of the rifle. The blue dot is giving me 1650 with good accuracy.
jloader

Post by jloader »

I do get an occasional flipped primer that actually flips in the primer tray. My "new" primer tray, when folded close, has larger clearance in the middle of the folded tray than on the sides. It is just high enough that a primer can flip there and slide down the shoot up side down.
But with that you will get a few primer sitting sideways in the tray itself.

Update - worked with Lee support - they are sending me a replacement tray today.... I love those guys... :D
Last edited by jloader on 08 Mar 2017 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

HankRearden wrote:You are correct. I worded that poorly. I'm more interested in velocity out of the rifle. The blue dot is giving me 1650 with good accuracy.

Is that over a chronograph or book value. If book value it's just a number. However checking data in a couple different books show the two to be very close in velocity per that data. May I ask what your load with BD is and where that data came from?

Return to “Progressive”