First impressions of the Pro1000

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
HankRearden
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: First impressions of the Pro1000

Post by HankRearden »

Over my chrony.
The load is varying between 7.5 and 7.7 due to powder measure. The data is from the Lee book for125 grain cast if I recall.
I started at 6.5 and have gone up over time.
Not a paper puncher but I keep a little keltec carbine with Mr when farming or hiking. I've never failed to hit anything and kill it when I meant to.
HankRearden

Post by HankRearden »

Averages 1250 or 1350 out of star bs. Can't recall and numbers are at home.
HankRearden

Post by HankRearden »

Update: I received my bullet feeder and it works perfectly. Literally just stuck it on. No adjustment or anything. Quite anti climactic actually.
Here is a terrible quality video though showing some of the quirks of this press. You can see the turret moving a lot. I was going to put a dial indicator on it but it honestly moves so much more than the turret in my turret press I find it unacceptable no matter the measurement. I have a couple ideas to stabilize it. I just need to decide which I'm going to pursue. I'm leaning toward drilling into the sides of the head of the press that the turret locks into with a lock bolt or two. I cant decide whether I should point the bolt so it slightly digs in,drill a small recess into the turret so it locks in or maybe use a ball bearing between the bolt and the turret.
A simple clamping mechanism may be whipped up even more quickly and easily as I tend to over complicate things.
Also you can see the cases spewing powder as they turn as I mentioned. That should be a matter of different load development. It really is unacceptable as I switched from an auto disc measurer to the auto drum because I wanted better consistency on my blue dot loads. Now the measurer is more consistent but the cases spew powder everywhere negating any improvement.
Sorry for the shaky video. I think next time Ill try my new chines GO Pro knock off instead of my phone.

Last edited by HankRearden on 11 Mar 2017 19:26, edited 2 times in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

The video link was an incorrect link so I removed it. Double check it please.
Michael
HankRearden

Post by HankRearden »

Ranch Dog wrote:The video link was an incorrect link so I removed it. Double check it please.
weird. try this one. its working for me.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Last edited by HankRearden on 14 Sep 2018 06:37, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: embedded video
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I embedded the video with the Image button in the middle row of the editor toolbar. The original link was your "edit" link, it denied access without your account info.

I see what you are talking about concerning the play. Could you add some shims under the tabs of the head on the upper surface? Cut some out of aluminum cans.

Gotta love the bullet feeder!!
Michael
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

HankRearden wrote:You can see the turret moving a lot. I was going to put a dial indicator on it but it honestly moves so much more than the turret in my turret press I find it unacceptable no matter the measurement. I have a couple ideas to stabilize it.
Don't do it.

The turret is free floating in its resting position, but that's not an issue. It is actually necessary for easy quick change of the turret.

When the ram is in its upwards position, the turret is firmly pressed upwards into the locking lugs. That's when it takes all the force, and then it doesn't move a bit.

If you try to fix it in its lower position by screwing from the side, you might either sheer off the bolts or bend the turret head.

Always think about when and where something needs to be fixed and positioned. In case of the turret, that is on the top stroke, where the force is the greatest. And even when it moves while not in contact with the shellplate/cases, it is perfectly stable in the working position.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Fyodor wrote:
HankRearden wrote:You can see the turret moving a lot. I was going to put a dial indicator on it but it honestly moves so much more than the turret in my turret press I find it unacceptable no matter the measurement. I have a couple ideas to stabilize it.
Don't do it.
Great advice. I was thinking in terms of the Load-Master but you are correct as the 1000 is an automated turret. Just adjust all your dies with firm pressure against the ram.
Michael
HankRearden

Post by HankRearden »

Fyodor wrote:
Don't do it.

The turret is free floating in its resting position, but that's not an issue. It is actually necessary for easy quick change of the turret.

When the ram is in its upwards position, the turret is firmly pressed upwards into the locking lugs. That's when it takes all the force, and then it doesn't move a bit.

If you try to fix it in its lower position by screwing from the side, you might either sheer off the bolts or bend the turret head.

Always think about when and where something needs to be fixed and positioned. In case of the turret, that is on the top stroke, where the force is the greatest. And even when it moves while not in contact with the shellplate/cases, it is perfectly stable in the working position.
Thanks. I hadn"t considered that. I've been pondering drilling the top of the turret and tapping it for #8 machine screws to preload it in an upward position. This would require zero mods to the press and turrets are cheap. If it raised evenly every time I wouldnt worry about it. but it raises unevenly and I occasionally get a case messed up by the flaring die.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

How about trying a new turret ($10) and/or turret ring ($15)? On my original turret, I loaded enough ammo that I wore a turret ring out (what you referred to as the "head"). Prices are from Titan Reloading.
Michael

Return to “Progressive”