Revisiting the Auto Drum

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Revisiting the Auto Drum

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've been cleaning out the reloading room, getting rid of what I haven't been using, but came to a stop with the two Auto Drums I purchased. Here is where I left them four months ago.
[hr][hr]on 11/03/16, I wrote...
daboone wrote:As you have mentioned Lee is the only company that uses CCs for measurements. That plus the FACT that they consistently work makes them the easiest to set up and use.
Exactly that is why I'm a bit stunned by the Auto Drum. What I have found is that the best thing you can use the scratch surface on the drum's barrel for is to indicate the cc that the drum was last set to. Charge doesn't mean a thing as the instructions suggest. I'd never remember the powder it was used with as I go back and forth between powders pretty fast. cc is a constant. Anytime the index is changed, count the flats and write down the cc the drum is now set at.

On 11/25/16...
RBHarter wrote:These new fangled powered measures sound troublesome .
Honestly, I've pretty much decided I'm not going to use the Auto Drum. I've been doing a heck of alot of loading since this topic started and I'm just not satisfied with it. The press mounted PPM has worked great and continues to do so. I don't think it is worth messing with for four specific cartridges and it will never match the consistency of the PPM.[hr][hr]So, I decided to take another look at the Auto Disk because my reloading "style" has changed since I have brought my Load-Masters back online. I want to keep everything on the press, the Classic Turret, and that is why I added the Safety Prime. I have been using the Perfect Powder Measure on the Gun Guide Adapter to deliver the charge but that has become a bit weird since adding the SP. The right hand is operating the ram and the left hand the SP but as it advances to the next station, I must either drop the ram or reach across and operate the PPM's handle. It is tough to develop any type of rhythm and this is where the Auto Drum can help.
AutoDrum_01.jpg
Here it is in use with the 303 British I loaded yesterday. Not a problem with it in operation and I have found that the best way to use cc to set it up is to take the metering rod all the way out and count down as you thread it in rather than the opposite. In this case, I wanted to drop a 3.40cc charge of Hybrid 100V (47.0) and I hit it save one facet of adjustment.
AutoDrum_stats_H100V.jpg
In this CC range, the SD and ES has remained the same since I last worked with the measure. The PPM is slightly tighter but remaining positive, the AD doesn't have the slight spill nor when mounted on the Long Rifle Charging Die require the Riser that I must use with the PPM. I labeled the drum with the charge cc and it will remain with the die set. 95% of my loading is set now for the long run, so I will need to purchase additional drums.

Will add a bit more information on my resolve with some of the issues of past but I need to get to the feed store this morning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Revisiting the Auto Drum

Post by Ranch Dog »

Been a long day, I'm getting ready to plant my spring whitetail & quail food plots but I did get some reloading room time this evening. Look some more at the Auto Drum with my 41 Mag.
AutoDrum_stats_H110&LilGun.jpg
H110 kind of blew it with the last drop but overall what I've been seeing with it; SD of .1-grain with an ES of .3-grain. Not a single grain spilled so that is really nice. I guess I will start buying drum sets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Funny this came up when it did. I sent my AD back to Lee telling them the issues I was having with it. Got it back about a week or so ago along with a list of what they fixed/replaced. Last night I decided to check it out again and set it up on a single stage press and ran several drops with Bullseye (it was handy). It randomly through charges that varied up to .3gr. which is about what it was doing before. Ya' know I wouldn't mind as much if it would drop like 6 or 7 out of ten on target and a then a couple that were off a tenth or two in the mix, but it don't work like that..so I guess if a fella doesn't mind a tenth or two off the target amount at least half the time, randomly, this measure will do fine. I'll not be using it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Horseman wrote:...Got it back about a week or so ago along with a list of what they fixed/replaced.
If possible, would you mind posting what parts that Lee replaced? I would probably order those parts to keep on hand as spares.

One thing that I don't think the Auto Drum can cure is powders that meter poorly, and H110 in my experience is one of them. Metering is one of the factors in my decision to make Lil'Gun my pistol cartridge carbine choice and the results posted on it vs. H110 have always held true whether I used the dippers, Auto Disk, or Perfect Powder Measure. Still, I've been sitting here with a bit over 3 lbs. of H110 for a decade, and it is time to burn it up. The fact is, I'm determined not to load another round with Lil'Gun in my 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, and 480 Ruger until the H110 is gone.
AutoDrum_stats_H110_02.jpg
This morning I ran a few more tests and decided to throw my beloved PPM into the mix. The two runs with the Auto Disk Drum were to see what effect the powder baffle was having on the drops.

As you can see, the spill with the PPM is awful. This PPM is my oldest and was lapped years ago, and it leaks none or little with my rifle powders.

I'm going to continue with the Auto Drum and will use it with the H110 as it does not leak a single grain. I should have a lifetime supply of Lil'Gun. I do think that running a complete body cavity of powder through the Auto Drum is important and have left myself an appropriate reminder.

I've also noticed a little bit of instability immediately after change the drum, even one facet, so always reject the first charge after an adjustment. I started to wonder about that and wondering if there was a bit of static produced by the adjustment. My next move is to prep the drum for first-time use by washing it hot water with a bit of dawn, just like I would with a dipper. While washing it, I also will fully open and close it several times so that it gets worked well with the soapy water as a lubricant.
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 14 Sep 2018 06:32, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: scratch "Disk"
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Are the first two AutoDRUM or AutoDISC?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Sorry RD, I didn't keep the paper Lee sent. As best I remember they replaced the whole housing as the "tabs" on the bottom had spread a bit, along with spring and the small "eared" piece that keeps it together at the thumb wheel. IMO Lee could have used a little better system there. Actually the more I fool with this thing, not trying to get anyone upset cuz I know some folks really like them, but I find the whole measure just "cheezy". I think the Pro Disk measure is better by far save for the limitations of powder drop size. The only thing I ever did to those was sand the "feet" down a bit for a closer fit between the charge bar and wiper. They don't leak a bit either. Think I'll send my AD to Larry.... :D
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Are the first two AutoDRUM or AutoDISC?
I can see were The "AD" might be confusing but it is that of the topic subject: Auto Drum.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

If I hadn't done the measurements myself, I'm not sure I could believe it!

This morning, I took the drum apart and washed it with very hot water and dawn. I took it apart submerged, and of course, right away the metering rod stopped squeaking with every turn. I set it aside and didn't come back to it until now. The metering rod went back it like it was greased. This time, I set it by checking the depth of the metering rod with a caliper, For the trial, I was shooting for .5" depth which would be 1.23cc but was a bit shy, more on that in a bit, what is important here is the stats. Check out the results!
AutoDrum_stats_H110_03.jpg
This is a crazy change with absolutely nothing different done on the reloading/press end. I dumped six charge drops and then started to measure. I'm even still using the same piece of brass that I started with. I removed the decapping rod from the sizing die, and it gets resized on every cycle immediately before the powder dump.

Now I'm thinking about degreasing the gears inside the drum and submerging it completely for the wash and air dry. Might not be a good idea though and I might leave well enough alone for now.[hr][hr]If you pull a metering rod apart, just screw it out through the interior side of the drum. I was fooling with the Max settings and split the O-Ring which threaded out. Didn't know there was one in there. I have both large and small rings coming from Lee.[hr][hr]Reference how I set the Auto Drum. When I had it apart I measured the metering chamber with a pin gauge, it is .437" in diameter. So using this formula, you can get cc from depth:

desired cc/3.14159/16.387064/(0.437/2)/(0.437/2)

I tried to just set it at a .5" but missed it a bit as was reluctant to measure up against the sharp edge of my caliper's depth arm. After the run, I pulled out a plastic, digital depth gauge and it measured .505" which worked correctly when I applied the known VMD of my lot of powder. I just placed the "ears" of the depth gauge across the opening to measure it. You measure across the flat of the opening, but the concave of the rod end apparently is made to compensate for that, so it all works out in the wash.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:Reference how I set the Auto Drum. When I had it apart I measured the metering chamber with a pin gauge, it is .437" in diameter. So using this formula, you can get cc from depth:

desired cc/3.14159/16.387064/(0.437/2)/(0.437/2)

I tried to just set it at a .5" but missed it a bit as was reluctant to measure up against the sharp edge of my caliper's depth arm. After the run, I pulled out a plastic, digital depth gauge and it measured .505" which worked correctly when I applied the known VMD of my lot of powder. I just placed the "ears" of the depth gauge across the opening to measure it. You measure across the flat of the opening, but the concave of the rod end apparently is made to compensate for that, so it all works out in the wash.
Wellll, the math is right, but these buggers are tough to measure. If you know the cc of the charge, it is best to start at the Max end of metering rod adjustment and count back. Just don't over do the max. When it comes to a stop, any further will tear up the rod O-ring (as I've found out).

Worked with it a bit more tonight, still dropping tight. Not going to wash the housing but it will get a dusting of mica with each use. I also did some test will filling the housing slightly below the base before I mount the hopper and it might get you to useable charges quicker. This is going to be real important for pistol use on the Load-Masters. Moving 8.4cc of powder .12cc at a time for the 25 Auto would be a task!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:Are the first two AutoDRUM or AutoDISC?
I can see were The "AD" might be confusing but it is that of the topic subject: Auto Drum.
Text below chart mentions Auto DISC. I just got confused.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”