What Firearms Spark Your Interest Lately?

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

What Firearms Spark Your Interest Lately?

Post by 357cyrus »

We've all got a want list... what firearms are on yours lately? If I've got the cash, find the firearm in front of me, and catch the Mrs. on a good day I'd like to grab:

1. Mossberg MVP (compact bolt action in 5.56x45 that uses AR mags) Would be a great varmint/target practice rifle, and I've got lots of brass just sitting around for it already.

2. Stainless Rossi 92 in 357Mag. What couldn't you do with this one!

3. Savage 24 O/U in 22Mag or 22Hornet over 20ga. Squirrels/Turkeys/Coyotes/Rabbits would have no where to hide.

4. Sig 938 (micro 1911 in 9mm) if you like 1911's and haven't seen one of these you need to!

5. M48 8mm Mauser. Just seems like a whole lotta thump for a little bit of cash.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: What Firearms Spark Your Interest Lately?

Post by Ranch Dog »

A focus on the a bolt gun in 7.62X39. I was on the trail of a Savage Scout but not real sure. That is about it for now.
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Steelbanger »

I'm worked up about a SS Ruger 77/44 I picked up new. This is a very light, accurate hunting rifle with a black synthetic stock. It seems to prefer the RD 265 FN bullet so that's what I'm going to feed it. I like it so much that I have thoughts of getting the 357 Mag version too.

It had some feeding problems which I tried to correct with a new magazine that Ruger sent me. I requested and they also sent lower rings. All I had to do was return the original rings and mag. Well the magazine didn't fix the feeding problem so I called Ruger again, being my usual nice guy. They agreed that it should be looked at and emailed me a prepaid shipping label and instructed UPS to pick up the rifle the following day. When it came back it now feeds every bullet style I tried in it, SWC, FN, JHP, FP, FN, all fed. The "fix" was a chamfering of the chamber mouth which I thought it needed too but decided to just let Ruger fix it. Total time away from me was under two weeks.

I hope that either my son or I can knock down a whitetail with it this coming season.
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

Those 77/44's are pretty cool just as they are, but I've seen videos of them with a suppressor that are down right awesome. Imagine having the firepower of a heavyweight 44 that sounds like a pellet gun. All you hear is the target getting walloped.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steelbanger wrote:I'm worked up about a SS Ruger 77/44 I picked up new. This is a very light, accurate hunting rifle with a black synthetic stock. It seems to prefer the RD 265 FN bullet so that's what I'm going to feed it. I like it so much that I have thoughts of getting the 357 Mag version too.

It had some feeding problems which I tried to correct with a new magazine that Ruger sent me. I requested and they also sent lower rings. All I had to do was return the original rings and mag. Well the magazine didn't fix the feeding problem so I called Ruger again, being my usual nice guy. They agreed that it should be looked at and emailed me a prepaid shipping label and instructed UPS to pick up the rifle the following day. When it came back it now feeds every bullet style I tried in it, SWC, FN, JHP, FP, FN, all fed. The "fix" was a chamfering of the chamber mouth which I thought it needed too but decided to just let Ruger fix it. Total time away from me was under two weeks.

I hope that either my son or I can knock down a whitetail with it this coming season.
Happy Birthday Frank! Dang, you had to go and talk about the 77/44 & 77/357! Those are two rifles I would like to work with. The wood & blued 77/44 pulls at me about like the 77 Compact in 7.62X39. It is great to hear about the Ruger experience as well.
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

New look today for my 77/44

Post by Steelbanger »

My son and daughter-in-law just stopped by to wish me a Happy Birthday and then presented me with this camo synthetic stock. Looks pretty sharp, doesn't it? I switched it out and will have to see if the point of impact changed at all.
77-44 Camo B'day.JPG
This gift only serves to make me more suspicious of my son's intentions. Am I worrying about nothing?

P.S. to Michael,
Thanks for the birthday wishes. I can't find that Ruger makes these 44's with a walnut stock anymore.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New look today for my 77/44

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steelbanger wrote:My son and daughter-in-law just stopped by to wish me a Happy Birthday and then presented me with this camo synthetic stock.
Very nice!
Steelbanger wrote:P.S. to Michael,
Thanks for the birthday wishes. I can't find that Ruger makes these 44's with a walnut stock anymore.
I see them on GunBroker still on a fairly regular basis.
Michael
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

I want back my DW 715-VH in .357 with stainless 6" barrel I foolishly sold. A blued version would be OK if I could find one at a reasonable price.

An S&W model 60 in .357 with 3" barrel might ease my sorrow though!
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:A focus on the a bolt gun in 7.62X39. I was on the trail of a Savage Scout but not real sure. That is about it for now.
Well I did it. I bought the Savage 10FCM Scout chambered in 7.62X39. I had toyed with the idea of going through the Savage custom shop for this rifle to be chambered in 300 Savage but that has a $288 premium. The majority of the rifles out there are chambered in 308 Win but my little Rossi Single Shot in this cartridge has really intrigued me even though the chambering in this rifle seems to carry a $150 premium. I found one in a shop in the Dakotas that didn't so I could not pass it up. I can always send it straight to Savage and have it rechambered to 300 Savage for the fee.
10FCM_01.jpg
You guys probably know what is on my mind. Already working on a RD type cast bullet as I find the two Lee offerings inappropriate for deer and hog hunting. Have a TLC313-125-RF ready to go! This rifle, and the
Rossi, needs a greater diameter of .310 so this will be a bore rider that will accommodate the downsize. The .313 will be needed for the CZ527 and both of Ruger's offerings; the #1 and Hawkeye 77 Compact. I hope to find fellows that own these firearms that would be capable of providing me a chamber cast before I send this off to Lee.
TLC313125RF_dimensions.jpg
chamber01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

ENVY - ENVY - ENVY - ENVY - ENVY - ENVY - ENVY - ENVY - ENVY - ENVY - ENVY - ENVY - ENVY - ENVY - ENVY

OK, back under control... I think...

RD, you just bought an awesome rifle. May I ask what you paid? That model seems to be selling for a premium right now for some reason compared to similar models by Savage.

The only other model I keep looking at is the Savage 11 Hog Hunter. It wouldn't have the scout rail (but I assume it could be added) and it lacks the iron sights but the barrel is threaded and I day dream of adding a suppressor for hunting to save my ears as they ring bad enough already. The only reason I keep thinking .308 is for the added range it has. I like the idea of the .30R but it seems almost too intermediate and maybe limiting. But then I can't say what would be a better choice either. And here I come right back to .308 since it's so easy to find if I needed some and easy to reload and I already have dies and some good molds...

Ah money and time. Never enough of either.

P.S. - I alread have a set of Lee dies for .30R so dies isn't really an excuse... Image

Return to “Topic Bucket”