Electric Caliper Recommendations?

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
GRV01
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Electric Caliper Recommendations?

Post by GRV01 »

So ive been reloading less than a year and am already finding whats working for me and what isnt and one rhing that aint are my calipers. Theyre a cheapy-cheapy 3" from Lowes and theyre very inaccurate. Im zeroing over and over and getting different readings and theyre not very sensitive i think -- Either that or every one of my MBC bullets are not sized to .358

In any case a quick look at Midway shows me many many brands, can anyone make a recommendation for a set thats fairly affordable (maybe less than $50?) Thanky
No thin chicks
Currently reloading .357 Magnum and .38 Special
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Electric Caliper Recommendations?

Post by GasGuzzler »

For less than $50 I'd look at analog. Most of the cheaper electrics are made by the same people and re-branded.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Nothing wrong with a $40-50 dial caliper . I've been nursing a set along for 25 yr . Used reasonably gently they still read within .0005 of the good set of 2-3" and 1-2" and a dead match to the Craftsman 1986 0-1" .001 set I don't think they are branded . They were a gift from a friend so they may have been Harbor Freight .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Mine are HF and I've had them long enough to go through 4 or 5 batteries. They work fine. In fact I prefer dial or vernier but with the eyes the digital have become an almost necessity.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

While not an answer to your question, I'll offer my suggestion. I am a lifelong machinist/mechanic and have owned 3 dial calipers and 2 digital calipers.First, I had a Craftsman dial caliper. I kept it clean and it kept zero and was accurate and I used that caliper for 12-13 years before it was stolen. The digital calipers were purchased 4 or 5 years apart, hoping the technology had improved. Both digitals ate batteries rather quickly and as the batteries got low, readings varied. Often the digital would "auto shut-off" while in use. One would switch between metric and SAE whenever it felt like it. One I left unattended for 8-10 days and the battery leaked and ruined the electronics. I could not trust the other so I put it in a drawer somewhere. I got a Lyman dial caliper for my reloading (don't know the manufacturer) and used it for several years (14-16?). I dropped it a few weeks ago and it went .060" off but I was able to repair it but it was off by .001" measuring my .430" plug gauge and off .0005" measuring some 30 cal bullets. I got a Fowler to replace the Lyman and so far it's working perfectly.

I recommend a dial caliper...
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Vernier is for the birds IMO.

$50 is not cheap to me for an electric. I was referring to the $29 variety. My Japanese made analog dial is at work. My electric is at home but I prove it with the analog every once and a while.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
jdl447

Post by jdl447 »

I use a Starret 0-1 inch micrometer for bullet diameter and a Mitutoyo 6 inch dial caliper for aol.
Both can be found on EBay.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Honestly, a run of the mill dial caliper is better than a digital costing 5X as much. I've spent 3 digits on digitals, all vary or have problems.

Micrometers and calipers both, I've made the swing to digital and back to dial. Much more accurate and repeatable. Specifically as a recommendation, this Hornady is tough to beat: https://www.titanreloading.com/hornady- ... al-caliper
Michael
jdl447

Post by jdl447 »

I made my living in metal work,punching holes, milling ,turning,bending and welding .
As for as measuring tools go buy the best forget the rest.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I prefer dial calibers. They really are easy to read. An added benefit is the visual dial movement. Much easier to see what direction your moving in on a dial.

I have a really nice Brown and Sharpe and Srarret calibers. Got them both off of Ebay for less than 30bucks each.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “All Other Tools”