38 special PTE die problem

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

38 special PTE die problem

Post by cj8281 »

I bought the Lee 38 spl 3 die set from a local individual with some other stuff, the die set was $20. They appeared to have never been taken out of the box. I disassembled them and cleaned the machining oil out of them with some brake clean and reassembled them. Even though I have been reloading for quite awhile, I decided to read through and follow all of the instructions. You never know what you might learn.
The problem came when I was setting up the Powder Thru Expander die (PTE). I planned on using this with the Auto Disk powder measure. I purchased the Auto Disk riser, cleaned it and installed it on top of the PTE die. I then installed the Auto Disk. I began adjusting the die to get the proper amount of flare and to actuate the Auto Disk. I have adjusted the die down to the point that it is hitting the shell holder and the disk is not all the way to the edge of the body like it should be. The cavity of the disk is not all the way out from under the hopper and I have it set up with the .49 cavity. Thinking that there might be an issue with the new Riser, I removed it. With the Auto Disk mounted directly on the PTE die, same problem, the die is adjusted all the way down to the shell holder and the edge of the disk is still .108" from the edge of the body. I believe the Riser is fine but I don't know what I have done wrong or if there is an issue with the PTE die. The only things that I can think of is that the die body is too long or the expanding insert is too short.
I plan on calling Lee Precision in the morning but I was hoping that someone might know what the issue is. The flare on the case is very very light.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 38 special PTE die problem

Post by Fyodor »

I had a similar problem once, no matter how deep I set the die, it wouldn't flare at all, and powder drop was inconsistent.

It turned out that at the top of the die there is an O-Ring to create friction and prohibit the powder measure to loosen. On the powder measure there was a second O-Ring... as soon as I removed one of them it worked perfectly.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Both measure and riser came with rings. One goes between measure and riser and the other between die and riser. Both rings are internal - seat inside the female side of connections.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

What about your cases, are they within the SAAMI spec of 1.135 to 1.355?
Michael
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

Only one O-ring between mating surfaces.

Randomly drawn cases from the bucket and the three cases that I was working with, between 1.141" to 1.145".
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

cj8281 wrote:Only one O-ring between mating surfaces.

Randomly drawn cases from the bucket and the three cases that I was working with, between 1.141" to 1.145".
Time to call Lee I would say.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Agree with RD. Sounds like a short stem in riser or die.

Riser stem is 1.6" and 38 stem is 1.01". Cup depths are 0.20 and .430 respectively.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

I talked to Jim at Lee Precision today. He believes it is the insert from the 38 spl PTE that is the wrong one or not up to specs. I will compare the new one with the original and let you all know how they are different.

The insert in my 38 spl measures 1.095" total length, .793" length of the large section, .435" the depth of the inner cavity.

I guess I will go play with 9mm, my new 9mm PTE arrived with the Lee Safety prime set up and a couple more turrets.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

cj8281 wrote:The insert in my 38 spl measures 1.095" total length, .793" length of the large section, .435" the depth of the inner cavity.
Mine has an overall length of 1.098". The larger diameter of the tube is .800" long, leaving .298" at the short end. I thought you might have a 357 Mag expander plug but that plug is only .964" in length which makes sense as the longer cartridge is using the same die body.
Michael
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

Ranch Dog wrote:I thought you might have a 357 Mag expander plug but that plug is only .964" in length which makes sense as the longer cartridge is using the same die body.
I wonder why they would make 2 different ones as you can just adjust the die to accommodate the longer cartridge, probably even the 357 Maximum.

Jim said that he would also throw in the instruction sheet for the 357 Magnum so that I would have the load information that is included in the instruction sheet. :t

Some measurements for my Riser.
Riser length: 1.6005"
Riser top length: .238"
Inner cup length: .2005

Riser Body length: 1.768"
Top down to where the threads start: 1.396"

With the Auto Disk mounted directly to the 38 spl PTE, the rise of the Auto Disk is .478" when actuated. Measured this between the Actuator (the part that screws into the die body) and the body. Then I installed the Auto Disk onto the Rifle die with my custom insert and adjusted it so that the disk goes to the edge of the body and then measured the same distance, .512", so only a difference of .034". I measured my PTE die body and it measures 2.176". I wonder if just shortening the die body by a 1/16 of an inch would sort this out. That would give me the additional .034" that I would need and then some.
I think I will wait on that til I get the new insert.

Need to play with the new priming system and get it working.

Return to “Handgun”