Lee Sizer Punch Question

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
Rooster59
My Press Choice: Turret

Lee Sizer Punch Question

Post by Rooster59 »

Maybe it isn't a problem, but my Lee sizer punch makes marks in my gas checks. The marks look like I hit the bottom of the checked bullet on concrete. There are a lot of tiny pock marks/dents in the gas check, mainly around the outer edge of the bottom of the check.

Should I polish the top of the sizer punch to smooth these out?
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Lee Sizer Punch Question

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rooster59 wrote:Maybe it isn't a problem, but my Lee sizer punch makes marks in my gas checks. The marks look like I hit the bottom of the checked bullet on concrete. There are a lot of tiny pock marks/dents in the gas check, mainly around the outer edge of the bottom of the check.

Should I polish the top of the sizer punch to smooth these out?
How about a picture?
Michael
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

452 Sizer Issues.jpg
The pusher is a bit out of focus but you can see what the reverse of the surface looks like from the condition of the gas check. Every gas check looks like this. Even after I wiped it several times. It isn't dirt, it is a rough surface on the pusher.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rooster59 wrote:
452 Sizer Issues.jpg
The pusher is a bit out of focus but you can see what the reverse of the surface looks like from the condition of the gas check. Every gas check looks like this. Even after I wiped it several times. It isn't dirt, it is a rough surface on the pusher.
May be you could polish it out or get Lee to send you a new puncher.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Should be able to run your finger nail over it and feel the roughness.
Je suis Charlie
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

You don't need a finger nail. I can feel it with my fat finger tip. Just needed confirmation from experienced folks that it wasn't normal. I'll email Lee today.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

That's far from normal. None of mine are perfectly smooth but none of them leave a mark on the base of the lead bullet or the few checks I use.
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

Lee tech support said they will replace it no charge.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Another happy ending. +guns
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

Now I have to get down to the workbench and lube and size enough to last me until the replacement gets here. Can't send the bad one back just yet. Only have about 50 for practice before deer season on the 16th.

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”