3 die set vs. 4 die set - difference?

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
massmanute
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

3 die set vs. 4 die set - difference?

Post by massmanute »

What is the difference between the Lee Precision 3 die set vs. the 4 die set for 9mm Luger?

Thanks.

massmanute
ROSW
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: 3 die set vs. 4 die set - difference?

Post by ROSW »

The short answer - 1 die (sorry, couldn't resist). Longer answer - the Factory Crip Die. Much longer answer - get it if you can find the 4 die set. If not, get the 3 die set and keep a lookout for the FCD and add it when you find it.
ROSW

Post by ROSW »

Also, make sure you get the carbide dies. They are worth the extra cost.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Titan Reloading has the four die set in stock today.

http://www.titanreloading.com/pistol-re ... 4-die-set-

Titan has good prices and good service. +1
Je suis Charlie
Mike 56
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Mike 56 »

You can crimp your cases with your seating die. Some people seat and crimp in one step and others seat their bullets back out the seating stem and turn in the seating die in to crimp. When using your seating die to crimp it is a good idea to trim your cases one length. Using the FCD case length is not as important and the crimp adjustment is a lot more forgiving you can't over crimp to the point your cases won't head space right. When loading for a auto loading pistol i like to remove the barrel and check the first rounds i finish by dropping them into the chamber. They should just fall in all the way in the chamber and when you tip the barrel back they should fall right out. If you have a problem it is nice find out before you have two or three hundred loaded. I have a FCD in my 45 ACP die set and i like using it i don't have one in my 32 ACP die set and i get a long fine without it.
massmanute
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by massmanute »

Thanks for the replies. I ordered a four die set from Titan.

Just for fun, I also bought an old Lee Loader in 9mm form ebay.

Now for the next question. I have an unopened container of Bulls Eye and an open container of Red Dot. Is there any reason to prefer one powder over the other? (I have the Red Dot for loading shot shells.) I plan on making light loads in the 115 to 125 grain range.
Mike 56
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Mike 56 »

I like both powders i use them both all the time. I looked at two manuals i see loads for both weight jacketed bullets using Bullseye and loads for cast 125gr bullets using both powders. I am sure you can find loads for jacketed bullets using Red Dot you can load anything with Red Dot. I would try both powders. I don't load 9mm so i don't have any pet loads for you. Good luck, have fun and stay safe.

Good chose on the dies i think you will like the FCD and you can never go wrong with a Lee Loader.
gregg.carlen

Post by gregg.carlen »

What is the benefit of using the FCD? I am reloading 9mm with 4 dies on a lee single stage press (loading in batches of 50 or 100 rounds). I loaded a batch with the FCD and a batch without. Both seemed to cycle through 4 different semi-auto handguns without issue. So, does the FCD really provide a benefit?
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

gregg.carlen wrote:What is the benefit of using the FCD? I am reloading 9mm with 4 dies on a lee single stage press (loading in batches of 50 or 100 rounds). I loaded a batch with the FCD and a batch without. Both seemed to cycle through 4 different semi-auto handguns without issue. So, does the FCD really provide a benefit?
I don't have a definitive answer to your question. I think the real answer lies in accuracy by putting the same crimp on every bullet. Someone will be along shortly to expand or correct my theory.

Welcome to the forums and keep the questions coming.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

gregg.carlen wrote:What is the benefit of using the FCD?... So, does the FCD really provide a benefit?
What the Pistol FCD provides is a uniform crimp without the need of having uniformed case lengths. If you are trimming your cases and using the the bullet seating die to provide the crimp at the end of the seating stroke, there is mo difference.

The die's purpose is to eliminate the need to trim the cases on every reloading cycle for a given lot of brass.
Michael

Return to “Handgun”