Upgrading

All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
greg_r
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Upgrading

Post by greg_r »

Sold my old style turret press with the intent to replace it with the new style value turret press. Been waiting for the new breech lock pro before I make the move though. Seems to me the clutter on the base of the breech lock pro takes a lot of the working room away. I load cartridges that range in length from 17mm (380 acp) to 62mm (280 Remington). Favorite cartridges are the 38 spl (29mm) and 30-30 win (51mm).

Going to be hard to make a choice until the breech lock pro is actually in the hands of some reloaders and we get some real feedback, but I think the new model value turret is the way for me to go.

This press, by the way, is a second press. Located at a second property I own, I have a classic turret press at the first home. A second CTP is not out of the question, but I prefer the shorter throw on the value series for loading handgun cartridges. I can always load the longer cartridges on the CTP. The breech lock pro would increase my production though.

FWIW, probably should not have sold the old style turret press. I converted it to a 4 hole and installed the Titan Reloading primer chute. It worked like a charm! Only fault was it dropped the primer seating arm from time to time. The turrets I had set up for the CTP worked in the VTP with no adjustments needed. I just wanted an upgrade.

Most likely going with the new style VTP, but I wanted to hear your opinions. Thanks in advance!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Upgrading

Post by Ranch Dog »

Kind of tough to figure out right now. Based on price vs. utility offered, I think the Value & Classic Cast Turret will become a tough sell. Here are the prices through Titan as an example:
  • Value Turret ~ $85
  • Classic Cast Turret ~ $110
  • Breech Lock Pro ~ $125
The more I look and think about it, I think it will be the latter will be the demise of the first two.

You mention handgun loading and no doubt the throw is quicker on the Value Turret but then there is that 280 Remington you load.

+corn
Michael
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

I will keep my classic cast turret for my hunting loads but am looking at the Breech Lock Pro as a second progressive. I agree with RD that the BLP will probably kill the Turrets. A good single stage will always be handy.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

farmerjim wrote:I will keep my classic cast turret for my hunting loads but am looking at the Breech Lock Pro as a second progressive. I agree with RD that the BLP will probably kill the Turrets. A good single stage will always be handy.
If it is using the Safety Prime, it really won't be a progressive press unless Lee has figured out some way of charging the primer cup. I wish Lee had a video of the press in operation with this lastest release.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That doesn't mean I think it's bad for some people to try new stuff. It's my rule. My LCT is just fine for what I need.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

GasGuzzler wrote:If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That doesn't mean I think it's bad for some people to try new stuff. It's my rule. My LCT is just fine for what I need.
My first press, actually it was my dad's, was a Herters C-frame. Over the last 60 years there have been 7 others. Every one of them made excellent handloads. So I'm not sure its been upgrading as much as proving to myself if all the hooplas about this feature or that quality in a new press made a real difference. As said every one made quality reloads. What I've found is some save time, some make some operations easier to perform. One required some serious interventions to get it up to speed but it was worth it. None actually saved me money but that would require off topic logic. ;)

What these presses taught me is how much I love every part of reloading and the experiences gained from the time spent with them was worth it and added additional handloading education. Every one added a hell-of-a-LOT to my experience. I now own the very best of the best, for me, however they may not be the best for you and that's OK!

+guns
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

Ranch Dog wrote:
farmerjim wrote:I will keep my classic cast turret for my hunting loads but am looking at the Breech Lock Pro as a second progressive. I agree with RD that the BLP will probably kill the Turrets. A good single stage will always be handy.
If it is using the Safety Prime, it really won't be a progressive press unless Lee has figured out some way of charging the primer cup. I wish Lee had a video of the press in operation with this lastest release.
I prime off the press. I clean and resize then polish then prime the brass. I keep boxes of primed brass ready to load. I do this even on my loadmaster, which will prime without any issues with the older priming system.
I have boxes of once fired brass and find this to be the easiest way to go.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I think the turrets (both) will remain because a lot of reloaders just don't like progressive presses. And as mentioned the "value" turret is a better setup for someone who just wants to load for a couple handguns (I'm thinking the fella who has a 9mm/45acp/40cal or the like and also a dreaded "assault rifle". If they also have a hunting rifle or two (there are folks that only have a couple RD :lol: ) then obviously the Classic would be their huckleberry.

As to the new Lee Progressive press, I agree the proof is in the puddin'. We'll just have to wait and see but I imagine it's going to be a really nice little unit. I ran some numbers from a couple different vendors and a complete setup minus bullet feeder and dies (I never liked Lee's bullet feeder cause' it doesn't work well with cast bullets, at least not with the lube I use) and most already have dies for the calibers they load for, came to right at 200 bucks. Now that's a hard number to beat for a four station progressive press. I'm also a bit annoyed (mildly put) at folks that are denigrating this new press because it "only" has 4 stations (and in a whiny voice say "I like to use a powder cop die, {well just look in the d#@m case} and I want to crimp in a separate step because I don't know how to setup a seating die properly to crimp and seat at the same time" ) and then tout the Dillon 550 as better than real butter on toast. O.k, o.k, I know, ease up on me a bit fellas, I've only had one cup of coffee so far, I'm old and my back hurts this morning for no apparent reason (nothing really new there). I also don't think the Safety Prime should be an issue, I mean how hard is it to pull the handle down on the press, then with your left hand push the darn thing in to put a primer in the cup, handle up, seat primer, then do it again. ONE, whole 'nuther hand movement, come on, really???? but I 'spose we all see things differently, else we would have all married sisters and drive a Toyota pickup. I sure hope my day starts gettin' better PDQ or I'm goin' back ta bed..... :D
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Horseman wrote:I also don't think the Safety Prime should be an issue, I mean how hard is it to pull the handle down on the press, then with your left hand push the darn thing in to put a primer in the cup, handle up, seat primer, then do it again. ONE, whole 'nuther hand movement, come on, really???
Boy, aren't you in a sour mood! I guess that makes my Classic Turret a progressive because that is exactly what it is taking to prime a case.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Horseman wrote:I also don't think the Safety Prime should be an issue, I mean how hard is it to pull the handle down on the press, then with your left hand push the darn thing in to put a primer in the cup, handle up, seat primer, then do it again. ONE, whole 'nuther hand movement, come on, really???

Boy, aren't you in a sour mood! I guess that makes my Classic Turret a progressive because that is exactly what it is taking to prime a case.

Yeah, I am a bit. Radiation treatment has me a bit on edge lately. After 20 days straight thank God Monday is my last nuclear fallout regimen. However, I stand by the statement that the safety prime should not be a hinderance (as long as it working well) to the "speed" of the press. The early Dillon 450 with the manual powder and primer dispensers were very good to operate. And I'll bet between the 550 and 450 loading handgun rounds there wouldn't be that much difference in speed. If that is what a person is looking for. I really liked those features on THAT press so I don't believe it would be a problem on the Lee press for me. To others it may be a deal breaker for sure.

Return to “Turret”