9mm Luger Bulge Busting

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
bayou
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: 9mm Luger Bulge Busting

Post by bayou »

Horseman beat me to it, I would like to know the
same thing.
BB each reload?
Yes each case gets bulge busted.

Sizing die before or after?
The case gets sized rirst, then run through the bulge buster.

FCD at the end?
Yes, I use the FCD as the second to last step. The last step is to run each loaded round through a Dillon headspace gage to assure there are no quality control issues.

These are my practices, at least...

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

horseman wrote:Are you running the 9mm brass through the bulge buster (9mm Mak) each time you reload it? Also do you run it through a resize die afterwards in the regular reloading process or before you use the bulge buster.
In the past I haven't done it on every cycle of the brass, but I think I will in that I'm using the Load-Master exclusively for all my semi-auto. With the turret, if sizing felt like lube was needed, I'd stop & run them through. With the LM, it's easier to do them all as part of case conditioning. It was quick & my ammo sure cycled well today.

I BB prior to sizing. Sizing takes place on the LM.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

larryw wrote:Also, couldn't find anything on Lee's site but since they are now advising against using the Mak die set up on 9 x 19 do they have anything specifically for
the Luger? I know, I know... Shut up Larry & go Take a nap.......
Nope, no alternative. I will continue to use the Mak.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've got more pics, etc. Will hit this in the morning as I need to finish my chores.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:My experience is that they all swell a bit at the base of the cartridge, slowly and surely. .....<snip>.....You really don't know what your chamber/case is doing until you send some spent brass through a Bulge Buster.
I bet I just haven't cycled my brass enough to notice it. 9mm brass runs from free to $0.03 each so I would have to use a lot to justify the die and the extra time.

The price isn't bad so I looked into it and see what y'all are talking about. It's not "made" to work with 9X19 because of the ever so slight taper. So I see RD is using the FCD for 9X18 and the Lee 90487 to bust bulges on 9X19. So.....that means I'd need the 90487 and the 90807. That's enough dollars to buy 2K pieces of once-fired brass....but they may be bulged, right? :lol:

I could use it on .45 ACP as well though and I already have the FCD for it too. Hmmm.......
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I here you GG, I try not to figure it out the dollars because that might mean that I'm better off buying factory ammo! My PT111 Pro has a tight chamber, as verified by chamber cast, and my brass was new MagTech shot at max pressures; it had a slight bump after the first shot cycle.

I also look at it like this, and my view is probably different from others. I load all my ammunition to defend myself. I don't shoot ANYTHING through my pistols that won't accomplish that goal; 25 through 45 Auto. To that end, I do everything possible to make the finest ammunition possible.

Alrighty, here are one thousand 9mm Luger cases that have passed through the Bulge Buster using the 9mm Makarov Carbide Factory Crimp Die body. That brings the count to approximately 11,000 cases through the die.

The sizing ring in the die is still bright and shinny. If it cracks, I think you will know it so I will pull another Makarov FCD (I have a spare).

Back to the operation itself. The Case Catcher, if secured with masking tape, will hold 250 9mm Luger cases.

Here is the target from my range testing yesterday, sorry about the blurry picture. I test my compact pistols at 10-yards, standing, with shots immediately off the trigger reset. A bullet is going down the barrel before the previous case hits the ground. The pace is just as I would in a self-defense shooting.

The 135-grain gas checked, round-flat nosed bullet with 6.3-grains of HS-6 averages 1070 FPS at 97° with an SD of 15.5 FPS and ES of 43 FPS.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

That's a pretty hot load for 9mm but the chrono and target are proof it's a sweet one.

I have OEM ammo in my defense guns but not because I'm afraid of lawyers.

I reload for fun and rarely get to shoot. I figure some day when I get to retire I'll be set with components and equipment.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:I BB prior to sizing. Sizing takes place on the LM.
I wanted to clarify and add a bit.

I use the BB as part of case conditioning, the first step after the brass has been cleaned. If a case mouth is deformed, I set it aside and push those through that are round. Rather than use a sizing die reform the case mouth, I start the rejects into the Powder Through Expanding Die. No reason to run them totally into the die, just let them meet the expander plug. I've never had this die trash a case with a deformed mouth but have had a sizing die do it. That is the primary reason, but the second reason relates to the Load-Master press that I use. The sizing die at station #2 also involves primer seating and is hard to access. The PTE die is wide open.
Michael

Return to “All Other Tools”