Dillon Super Swage 600--A Caveat

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Dillon Super Swage 600--A Caveat

Post by daboone »

Finally figured out how to use Imgur. Hope this works?

This is one of my methods for total case prep. I got this set up long before Lee made the simpler, nicer case gauge holder shown in RD's picture above.

An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I also replace the shell holder with the 3 jawed chuck which, for me, has worked perfectly.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:This is one of my methods for total case prep. I got this set up long before Lee made the simpler, nicer case gauge holder shown in RD's picture above.
Love it Dan!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:The reason I ask is that I found similar discussions on the web concerning the prep of LC surplus brass. From what I could gather it comes down to the chemical solutions used, it varies a bit, that cleans the cases and in the case of pulled cases, renders the primer unusable. The solution does something to the brass as well, hardening and making it tough to work with. Maybe tough brass is the cause, and tough brass is not malleable enough to be secured in the lock stud. Just spitballing here.

The only way to see which way this is going to go, brass or shellholder issue, is to get another shellholder. I don't have a #17 or I would send it to you to try.

When this is figured out, I will split the specifics into a standalone topic.
The cutter seems to cut the brass easily. It spirals off in a coiled wire on the really long cases. It's harder to de-burr than trim and I use the Lyman tool for that. (the split cone Lee de-burr tool is useless).

I will order another shell holder but first....My Lee 90114 trimer set for .223 Rem came with a #4 shell holder (which are obviously different than the shell holders to use on a press). Should it be a 17? Lee only shows primer and press shell holders on the their chart, not the trimmer holders (the trimmer shell holders are not available in the parts section, only a new set) so I have no way of knowing.

I will try the other mods today and report back. You can split my off topic comments now if you wish.
daboone wrote:I got this set up long before Lee made the simpler, nicer case gauge holder shown in RD's picture above.
So RD's can be bought like that, with a REAL handle and all?

I still have the problem (slow and hard on the hands when doing hundred of cases) of the tiny size of the lock stud and cutter. The 3-jaw does not solve it for me as it is flimsy. The jaw blades look to be 22-24 gauge steel and flex so much they never tighten on the case. It's also MUCH slower to get a case in and out of because you can't use the drill motor in forward and reverse....you have to set the drill in your lap and use both hands to center the brass, hold it in place, tighten it.
I am considering this I first saw on another forum. CLICK HERE FOR LINK
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:I will order another shell holder but first....My Lee 90114 trimer set for .223 Rem came with a #4 shell holder (which are obviously different than the shell holders to use on a press). Should it be a 17? Lee only shows primer and press shell holders on the their chart, not the trimmer holders (the trimmer shell holders are not available in the parts section, only a new set) so I have no way of knowing.
YOU ARE CORRECT!!! #4, don't know where I pulled the other number from.... #4, #4, #4.
GasGuzzler wrote:So RD's can be bought like that, with a REAL handle and all?
Yep, I have one of those as well and used it when I was using a drill. As the Cutter with Ball Grip (#90275) comes from Lee, the Cutter is embedded in the Ball. As it is shown in daboone's picture, he has modified it to accept the Lock Stud. Hopefully, he will chime in with the details of how and what he used if that is how you need it.
GasGuzzler wrote:I still have the problem (slow and hard on the hands when doing hundred of cases) of the tiny size of the lock stud and cutter. The 3-jaw does not solve it for me as it is flimsy. The jaw blades look to be 22-24 gauge steel and flex so much they never tighten on the case. It's also MUCH slower to get a case in and out of because you can't use the drill motor in forward and reverse....you have to set the drill in your lap and use both hands to center the brass, hold it in place, tighten it.
This was exactly my thoughts and experience, I could not use it.

Another suggestion, if you haven't done it already, request a paper catalog from Lee. Their website is good, but it does not show the relationship of all their products to others as well as their paper catalog does. I download the PDF, but it is not as handy on the bench as the paper version. At the end of the year, mine is worn out.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I ordered the plastic thing I linked.

I also ordered another guide rod and shell holder kit. At $7 shipped it makes no sense to fight it.

I did try to take pics of the inside of the shell holder where the issue is....or seems to be. I peened a couple (9) divots in the stud where it holds the brass and knocked the edges of the holder down (again). I tried six cases and it kicked two. 66% is a fail.

I think the shell holder is worn out. I probably spun too many (but how many is too many when it's brass vs. steel?) cases in it. If you look closely at the pics you can see the chrome plating is gone in an obvious case shaped/sized erosion area. It's $7. I will sleep well.....except the 3-jaw and haunting me with its false merits.

LOL

__________________________________________________________________________________________
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

RD.....the 4 is between the 1 and the 7 on a ten-key. I bet that's how the 17 came out instead of 4.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I gotta say what the heck are the dimples in this picture you posted on the shell holder?

A long time back I when used a drill press to hold the the cutter/case length gauge I got a single dimple from the case length gauge in the drill press platform. (BTW that cause the cases to be trimmed shorted. :x ) The drill press platform was a much softer material than the shell holder. So I wonder why all those "dimples" in you shell holder? I think you mentioned you are using a hand held drill? If so I can't imagine you are applying that much pressure. On the other hand the the shell holders appear to be stripped. I'd send these picture to Lee and see what they have to say.

horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Just a guess on my part but I believe the problem people have with the three jaw chuck is they don't tighten it down correctly. I know I made the same mistake when I first tried one on a Lee Zip trim. When you install the chuck on the "spinner" portion then place the case in the chuck, twist the big knurled knob to tighten the jaws on the case you need to continue tighten the large knob down onto the "spinner" (just as you would with the shell holder that you use with the trimmer set up) or whichever unit you're using it on ie; the zip trim for instance, until it's tight. The case will not spin if you do this. To remove the case you obviously do the opposite. The spinner stud I use for my power drill for neck turning has an O ring where it screws into the three jaw chuck so it does take a bit of effort. It works just fine, not as good as the K&N maybe but about a third the cost.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I spent 20 minutes on my phone typing but it poofed into thin air. I'll try again early AM on the PC.

Return to “All Other Tools”