Bad 380 Bullet Seating Help

All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
rigel50
My Press Choice: Turret

Bad 380 Bullet Seating Help

Post by rigel50 »

I have just started reloading 380. Have reloaded hundreds of 9mm, but 380 is not working well at the bullet seating station of the Lee Classic Turret Press. After the bullet is seated, the cartridge will not go into a case gage easily. It must be forced in and sticks. Is the bullet crooked maybe? How do I fix this?

When I seat a bullet there is more force required when I end up in a cartridge that does not work.

In the cartridges that are ok, there is little resistance when I use the crip die. In the cartridges that do not work, there is obviously more resistance in the crip die.

I think the bullets are seating crooked. Will more flare solve this? Do you have another idea?
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Re: Bad 380 Bullet Seating Help

Post by GasGuzzler »

Need to know what bullet you are using including composition and diameter. Also mixed range brass or new single stamp or once-fired by you brass makes a difference. How much flare are you putting on the cases?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

rigel50 wrote:I think the bullets are seating crooked. Will more flare solve this? Do you have another idea?
This would be the easiest to check, but with the present Powder Through Expander Die setting, are the bullets stable and square to the case when they are set on the case mouths? Mark the die and use maybe 1/4 turn more down into the turret on the die. At least it will be easy to reset the die if this does not help.

Tell me a little about the brass; new, used by you, or range pickup? Where I'm going with this is a slight bulge with fired brass. Most 380s being subcompacts, something has to give to get them to cycle well and most have a bit of unsupported chamber at the ramp to ensure cartridge feed. Size some cases and see how they fit in your cartridge gage.
Michael
rigel50

Post by rigel50 »

Brass is range pickup I bought online. The bullet is a 90 grain FMJ purchased from Rocky Mountain Reloading. Diameter is 0.345 inches. The brass on the cartridges with problems all appear to be CBC.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

rigel50 wrote:Brass is range pickup I bought online. The bullet is a 90 grain FMJ purchased from Rocky Mountain Reloading. Diameter is 0.345 inches. The brass on the cartridges with problems all appear to be CBC.
Is the .345" a typo? Should be at least .355". Most of the pistol brass I shoot is MagTech (CBC).

There are two things I would check; the indexing of the press, see the instructions that came with the press, and back to what I said about a freshly sized case without a bullet. Will it fit into your case gauge?
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

RD is going exactly where I was.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

A couple questions; are you using your turret press semi-progressive? Do the cartridges chamber in your gun? I quit using case gauges long ago as the gauges are usually near/at SAAMI minimum. I use the barrels of my guns as "gauges" and that has worked quite well for thousands rounds. Besides, I'm shooting my ammo out of my guns' barrels, not a gauge... ;)
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Agree. Need a plunk test.
rigel50

Post by rigel50 »

To answer one question, a freshly sized brass case fits nicely in the case gage. Responding to a second reply, I took your advice and started using my barrel as a case gage. Even the cartridges that stick in the case gauge or do not enter the case gauge fit fine in and out of my 380 barrel. So, I am not going to worry about the issue. What matters is if they will work. It would be nice to figure out what is going on (a permanent marker reveals that the lip of the case is sticking all the way around) but it does not seem to matter. Thanks for all your comments.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

rigel50 wrote:It would be nice to figure out what is going on (a permanent marker reveals that the lip of the case is sticking all the way around) but it does not seem to matter.
Okay, maybe try the Powder Through Expander Die 1/4 turn in & out from the present setting to see if that changes anything and still allows the powder drop (with the 1/4 turn out).
Michael

Return to “Turret”