(Reloading is addicting) Addendum

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: (Reloading is addicting) Addendum

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:So it's a LM-specific issue not an issue with the Safety Prime. I've never dumped primers into anything. I just cover the primer package with the tray and flip it over.

The "issue" was not with the Loadmaster, it was with the triangular primer tray itself...but the problem was mine not being careful in use. I think.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

horseman wrote: I know I'll continue to uniform all pockets before they go on the LM. Ranch Dog also recommends "beveling" the pockets but I found (using RCBS uniformer and crimp remover) that after running the cases over the uniformer, the crimp remover didn't even touch the case. Hmmmm........
The same experience as I with the RCBS tool. I have two types of crimp removers that mount up on the Prep Center.

The tool head on the left is the RCBS being discussed above, and the one on the right is a Redding tool but offered by Hornady, Lyman, and RCBS as well. That tool, the one on the right will produce more of a bevel than the RCBS. The tool on the left is $20+ and on the tool on the right runs about $10. The tools I bought, both for large and small pockets, had a threaded stud to fit a driver. I simply unscrewed that stud and mounted the tool directly to the Prep Center.

Here is the surface of my Prep Center after prepping 80+ 32-20 Win cases and 20+ 30 Carbine cases. It's removed as much brass as the RCBS Pocket Uniformer has.

I have not experienced any issues with the simpler design. The larger RCBS tool doesn't seem like it is doing much, especially compared to the other, but that tool is done with a pocket in a second (the shank of the cutter bottoms out in the pocket controlling the angle of the bevel. I'm probably going to stick with it.

No doubt that this simple work has kept and added a Load-Master here at the ranch. It has completely changed the press without touching it.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

To clarify RD, you will continue to use both or you prefer one over the other?

Certainly most of the shavings are from .30C and not .32-20? Doesn't seem that uncrimped Old West brass would be that tight/out of spec.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:To clarify RD, you will continue to use both or you prefer one over the other?

Certainly most of the shavings are from .30C and not .32-20? Doesn't seem that uncrimped Old West brass would be that tight/out of spec.
I will continue with the basic crimp remover, the tool on the right in the first picture, to produce the bevel, and then the primer pocket uniformer on every piece of brass that I work with. In other words, just how my Prep Center is configured in the first picture. Until you feel how bad primer pockets are through a uniformer, you wouldn't believe it. As far as I know, primer pockets are not beveled at the factory. The 32-20 Win brass is Starline and as far as uniforming goes, is just as guilty as the Federal 30 Carbine brass.

What started me down this road was the Safety Prime on my Classic Turret press. I couldn't believe how bad a primer felt going up into the base of the case when translated through the feel of the press. That press sits corner to corner to the Load-Master presses on another wall. I turned to them and said "no, wonder you are having such a tough time with primers" and decided to do something about it.

This work is one time for the life of the case. I also uniform the flash hole. Starline and PPU don't need it but RP and Win cases sure do.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Thanks RD, I had not seen the other tool before (the one on the right). Gotta get one of those for sure. As usual great information and well illustrated.

Can not understand why the RCBS crimp removing cutter doesn't "touch" the primer pocket after uniforming them. That does not make any sense to me at all.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I was priming a batch of 223 case this past week end using my RCBS bench prime and noticed that the primers were hard to seat. The pockets on these had been swagged. I first tried the Lyman version of the reamer and it helped but still not great and little visible bevel. Grabbed my Sinclair pocket uniformer and followed it with the reamer, bevel visible and no fight with the primers. I've long suspected that the way primer pockets are formed it's a wonder the spec doesn't go beyond close enough, hence the market for reamers and uniformers.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Exactly my thought Ohio.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

We don't seem to talk much about Remington brass. Look at how little debris there is after the primer pocket and flash hole prep on 50 32-20 Win cases. Primer pockets are very true.

Michael

Return to “Progressive”